Hair Algae

Just last night I pulled out the rock for the second time a scrubbed all the hair algae off with a brush. And moved the light higher from the tank. Any thoughts on how to stop this. My tank is a 29 Biocube no cover, my lightning is LED an hanging about 12 inches from the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Algea needs 3 items to grow that can be controlle: light, nitrates and phosphates. Light, just cut back on your photo period to 8 hours. Cutting food will slow down the time for build up. Better hygiene will reduce the concentration levels like more frequent water changes and cleaning of filters and skimmers. Using organic and phosphate removal media will help.

I forgot to mention that the addition of natural predictors like hermit crabs, snails and sea hares will help with the cleanup of the algae.

@digital_gods wrote:
Algea needs 3 items to grow that can be controlle: light said:
I agree, how long has your tank been set up, what fish do you have and is it a reef, are you keeping up with your water changes?

Nitrates and lights are sources of energy for the algae. Phosphates are used to build the algae. Frequent and consistent water changes, a good skimmer, refugium, and good natural bacteria can help keep the nitrates down . A photo period of 7-8 hours, quality bulbs that are not past the 7-12 month range or high quality LEDs in proper spectrums and the correct intensity will solve most lighting issues. Phosphates are usually introduced to the aquarium through fish foods. Overfeeding is the #1 reason aquarist have nitrates that are too high. Reducing the amount you feed and using quality foods will help, also making sure you fish are eating most of the food. Turn your pumps off and feed slowly with a turkey baster. This not only helps insure that your fish are actually getting most of you food but will also help you feed fish that do not get to the food as fast ( an example being a Mandarin Goby). Feeding this way also allows you to target feed coral the soupy part of the thawed frozen food and gives you another great way to interact with your reef. The best thing you can do to combat algae is put some phosphate remover or GFO in a media sock and put in a high flow section of your biocube's filter. Be sure that you don't stuff the sock too tight, water has to flow through it in order for the GFO to work. Hair algea and other types of invasive algaes have a real hard time surviving in an environment with phosphates below .03 ppm. Algea uses phosphates to bind and build so without phosphates the algae weakens and eventually dies. Phosphates also inhibit coral and coralline algae growth as well as weaken coral skeletons, so it is very important to keep phosphate levels below .03 ppm. Most test kits have a hard time with giving accurate phosphate readings. I use a Hanna Checker, they are pricey but worth it IMO. To remove the algae, go to Harbor Frieght and buy and mini car cleaning vacumn kit for 7.99 and about 8-10 ' of 1/2" inside diameter vinyl tubing. The mini vacumn keep comes with an end with soft bristols on it you can attach to the vinyl tubing . This allows you to scub the hair algae and have it be siphoned out of the water at the same time. Also keep you DKH around 8-10, calcium 400-440 ppm, and magnesium close to 1300. I have noticed in my aquariums a correlation between low alk and low cal and small algae blooms also. The last thing is good water flow. Dead spots in the aquarium can allow detritus and other waste to build up giving algea another foothold. Jabeo RW4 ( 50 bucks on eBay) is an affordable powerhead that allows you to adjust the intensity and pattern. One of those properly adjusted and on a pulse or reversing pattern would be great on preventing dead spots and your corals will love it. Sorry so long and forgive typos but I hope it helps!

@mckeewa wrote:
Nitrates and lights are sources of energy for the algae. Phosphates are used to build the algae. Frequent and consistent water changes said:
+1!!
Also when you feed, give small amounts and wait until the food is gone before giving another small amount. This ensures the fish are eating the food and not the tank.( in other words, feed the fish and not the tank)

When everything else fails, this works very well for me.
Coming from Meleve!

http://youtu.be/xilqKzoOgBE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The outcome is the same, zero phosphates. It doesn't matter how you get them to zero, as long as they ARE at zero.

Man I would recommend you to build an ATS, is not that expensive . You will need to wait like a month to see results but it's really amazing how good it works..

393.jpg
alt="">