Glass tops?

[I currently have glass tops on my tank and was wondering the pros and cons on having them on there vs. not having them on. My tank does not have a top brace (glass 100g) so I made one out of 1x2's however this is impeding my canopy design so I was wondering about taking them off to fit the canopy over the top edge? The design I was thinking of would be a split canopy where the front half (actually less than half) flips up for servicing, feeding, etc.

canopy.gif
alt="">]

Edited By bioxide on 1092155044

[get rid of the glass top...like matt said, it conflicts with gas exchange, evaporation, and temp. If you are worried about fish getting out, use eggcrate. Also...how did you make a center brace? I am confused...]

@BigStun wrote:
[get rid of the glass top...like matt said said:
[Are you talking about on the current top brace I have on it that I built out of 1x2s?

Other than that it doesn't have a center brace.]

[kinda hard to explain, but here goes.

I took 1x2s and down the sidesto make a trim that goes around the top of the tank, then I took 1x2s laid flat that sat on top of the edge and over hung the inside of the tank with a cross support.
Then I routed the inside edge about 1/2 " on the inside for the glass to sit on.
Not the esiest job in the world but it came out good and works great, however it doesn't leave much support for a canopy. I'll try to get a pic to show you or make a photoshop design for you to see.]

[so you pretty much made a wooden frame on top of your tank to keep it from bowing out? If you secured the wood properly, it should do its job. Your canopy design is fine...when it comes to designing a canopy or stand, the sky is the limit. Try checking out reef central photo galleries, you can usually find a few good designs to base your canopy on. Let us know how it works out.]

[Well, the glass tops are gone, the diy top frame is gone (see above posts if you don't know what I'm talking about) and the new canopy (still needing slight modification, painting, trim, etc.. is in place with my 2 250 MH and my 2 160 72" vhos in it and workin like a charm. After working about 5 hrs on it yesterday to get it built and then carrying home for a dry run then staying up to 1am to get it on the tank with lights in it, I now get to go home tonight and take it off and get ready to doing the finishing. Hopefully the halides won't raise my water temp too much. They seemed fine this morning w/ the temp actually coming down (at least until the ac kicks up higher during the day (digital thermostat)). Maybe having the glass off will make that big of a difference.

Oh and yes Marc had your pics of your 29g canopy as the main idea.. :cool grin:]

Edited By bioxide on 1092235971

[Sounds good. You will see a drop in temperature after removing the glass tops, but it will creep up with the MH. Be sure you have some type of fan blowing the hot air out of the canopy. There is a thread about which way the fans should blow that was being posted to in the past 7 days. For the most part, the vote was that you have fans that blow in to force hot air out.]

[Yep seeing that temp get up in the middle of the day with the halides on, left the back of the canopy open and its out from the wall 6 to 8 inches but am yet to get a fan in there so in the middle of the day when the temp get up too high I just shut the halides off. BTW what is too hot? I don't let it get over about 82 but what can it safly get up to without doing any damage?

Oh and the fans will be coming any day I have several pc power supplies that will give me some 12v fans which I will wire to a power supply.]

@bioxide wrote:
[BTW what is too hot? I don't let it get over about 82 but what can it safly get up to without doing any damage?] said:
[82 is not bad at all, it is large fluctuations in temperature over a period of hours that is more stressfull. If you let it get to 82 during the day, do not let it get below 80 at night. The high and low point should not be more than a couple of degrees, (preferable none, really impossible) between the day and night temperature. I keep mine 1 1/2 degree variable between day and night.]