First Crash In Process

mginster

Premium Member
I have a 7.5 pico that has been set up for about 6 months now and tonight after getting home from dinner all my coral is closed up and some sliming. One looks dead already and my big galaxea is tightly closed to where I can see the skeleton, which i never ever see.

Parameters as of 2 minutes ago:

KH 6
PH 8.3
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 0
Phos .25
Temp 78
Even checked it with a DMM and the voltage is fluctuating about .1-.2 volts from ground to water, so its not an electrical leak.

Note: The water is slightly cloudy. Also, my xenia looks fine....

Any ideas?

Your KH is a little low, it should be between 8-11 and your phosphates are high. Ideally you want phosphates to be 0. Try raising your alk a little bit at a time. You don't want to shock the system. Try running GFO or using a liquid Phosphate remover. Just be very careful with a tank that small.

I have 2 gallons ready for my change that i do every Sunday to my 24g, then i use that 2 for my 7.5, going to do the 2 on my 7.5 now and pull out my good corals and put them in my 24. My KH is always lower but has never seemed to be a problem in the past.

My guess would be that something died. I'd check nitrogen levels.

Water change and find the dead thing.

Well i have no fish in it, just about 6 crabs and some snails. Would a really pissed off coral do this?

Definitely possible. In such a small volume, any little thing could cause serious problems fast.