Finally... - I got the tank started

G

[After all the planning and research, I've got my 140 from monica today. Thanks to her and her husband fro bringing it to me. I thought I'd post the info and a pic of it getting filled up

140 Gal 48*24*28
2x 400W 10k XM MH
4x65W PC Actinics
Closed loop w/ mag 18

More info to come, and more questions I'm sure
Thanks for everyone's help

later
Adam
:beer:]

[Congrats on the new tank. Are you planning on covering the back of the tank? It will hide all those electrical cords that are showing. I painted the back of mine.]

[Yeah, I'm going to cover the back. I had to get it up quick, so I didn't have time to put the film on. I had also bught some live sand, and needed to get it in. The cycle seems to have started already. I'm so excited. Now the patience thing will have to kick in. :D

later]

[You can affix a sheet of black chloroplast to the back using velcro pads. Chloroplast is sign material you see a lot, such as the little signs with homes for sale. It looks like corrogated cardboard, but made of plastic. It is available at Fast Signs or Regal Plastics. Maybe some hobby shops have it too.

That sounds like an excellent setup, btw. What skimmer do you have in mind?]

[I'm not sure on the skimmer yet. My tank stand has only about 13"
of vertical space, so either I build a new stand and sump, or I'm going to have to use a HOT skimmer. In the mean time, I'm using a RENA Filstar xP3 canister with carbon and floss only. I have an overflow, that I'm thinking of using to feed the canister some surface water. I think that it would help. I'm not planning on getting a skimmer until the cycle is over.

Let me know what you think

later
Adam

[Here it is settling out. Still very cloudy. I put in some live rock from the LFS. Here is the new pic of the day.]

[Looking at the tank as it was being filled raised a question. Where is the plumbing for the closed loop? I don't see any bulkheads or drains for the system.]

[I didn't have the plumbing in yet. Here is a pic with the closed loop and filter pipes.]

[Still no background, I'll probably go get it today. My pH was kinda low this morning, so I'm sure I'll be at the LFS in a bit. I put in a small amount of live rock yesterday. What am I looking for to see if it is live? It has no coraline that I can see. Thanks

[Your not likely to find quality live rock at an LFS unless its $8-10/lb

My suggestion: 50-100lbs of Marshall Island live rock

The uncured stuff. Your tank will cycle hard, you'll have beautiful rock with tons of life.

PS: I wouldnt be sweating Ph right now at all]

[I might try that...and thanks for the pH tip. What parameters do I need to keep an eye on during the cycle? Besides salinity.]

[The only things I tested during the cycle was ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

I recognize that closed loop! ;)]