Feeding Corals

nemonewbie

Membership Expired
I have a Aussie Duncan and a Green Tip Torch. Do I need to feed them? If so, what is a food to recommend? I have only been in this hobby a month, so I am still learning.

No you do not have to feed them directly. Those corals are Photosynthetic. I don't directly feed any of my corals of this type. Some people do however. My suggestion is to not feed them directly and keep your water quality high. When you feed your fish, the current will sometimes bring a piece of food to some of your corals. That is plenty.

@mtraylor wrote:
No you do not have to feed them directly. Those corals are Photosynthetic. ..... said:
True -- it is not necessary to feed them, but I personally do. I like watching the *reaction* and it seems they became accustomed to being fed as they seemed to be *waiting* for it. On day of water change ... I do feed all a little extra and this is the day I feed the corals (after fish have been fed so they don't interfere with the flow in the tank trying to get the food intended for the coral.

With all water flow off ... I sprinkle Otohime over the coral to be fed. Just a sprinkle ... what they can eat in less than 5 minutes. Otohime is the only food that I found that they don't expel it. If you use a feeding wand then MANY of the heads will not be fed as they will retract to protect themselves and not get any food. Just sprinkle it above them.

Not sure if any LFS sell any of the Otohime foods. I order it directly from APBreed.com and currently use TDO Chroma Boost C1

I wish I had a video because they are really FAST, but this picture I took a few months back gives you an idea of how they GRAB a mouthful.
[attachment=0]DSC02668.JPG[/attachment]

I <u>use to</u> do this with zoas as well, but there would be a HUGE MESS of poop strings the next day.