Edited.. 'Euplica Versicolor' eat hair algae???

debdp

Premium Member
The nassarius snails that came with some live rock have given me babies... I counted 30 that I could see in my 24g AquaPod. What do I need to do to keep them happy and help them grow?

Thanks

It sounds like you're already doing something right. They need food, and definitely sand.

needpics.gif
alt="">

Okay, okay, okay... at least one of them came out... this one's about the size of a pod... some were smaller, some a bit larger.

What kind of food? Veggie, meaty or both?

Those may be something else. Brian has these tiny snails that he shares often. Can we see the other side of them, the shell side?

I would hope veggies!

Yeah, tomorrow I'll pull a couple out of the tank and put them where I can get a good picture. I got the rock and snails from a couple on the forum moving and breaking down their tank sometime back and I was told they were nassarius and I have seen the larger ones laying these weird looking egg cases all over the glass. The only other snails in that tank are a couple nerite. I had a cerith but the stupid hermit killed it and took the shell.

Are the egg cases little clear circles with white dots in the middle? That sounds like those 'Euplica Versicolor' snails. (mistakenly called 'IPSF Strombus Grazer'.) If so, they're good grazers, if small, and don't require anything special to raise.

Well they laid some egg cases last night because I had just scraped the glass clean day before yesterday. So here's a pic of them. I also took a picture of one of them nestled inside an empty astrea shell. The actinics are on so not great picture but they have a lot of coralline on their shells so it's hard to see any patterns. What I thought was neat is there's two babies in the picture. One teeny tiny on the momma's shell (tiny white speck on the right, and then a larger baby on the astrea shell on the left it's so blended in hard to see. I'll try and get a better pic when lights come on.

Do they eat hair algae? I have a 12 gallon Nanocube and it holds some of those snails and some stomatellas, 1 peppermint shrimp, a clown goby and some bristleworms. I have a couple patches of hair algae on a rock. But the patches keep getting mowed down to little green fuzz patches. They grow to about an inch or so long and the get mowed down again. Something in that tank is eating it. Could it be those snails?

@debdp wrote:
The nassarius snails that came with some live rock have given me babies... I counted 30 that I could see in my 24g AquaPod. What do I need to do to keep them happy and help them grow? Thanks said:
Honestly Debbie, I think single-handedly you could help counter the loss of life in the hobby if you just kept a male/female of every specie we keep.....your tank is the fertility clinic!!!

Congrats on the new additions!