Doesnt anyone come in here? - Propping softies is cool!

[GARF!

Garf has some great info for propagating all sorts of corals. Its a little scary at first taking scissors to your mushrooms, but it pays off!

Hey... if you want to practice, get some from your new President, and cut them to ribbons!

Pretty soon you'll feel safe cutting up more interesting things, and you'll be helping the environment by making more and more mushroom corals to trade with the rest of the club, and not have to buy things from the LFS.

Bad for the LFS, good for you, and the environment. Rock on!

:cool grin:]

[I am so glad to see that someone has started something in here. I want so very much to learn how to do many things in this area but as you said "it is very scarry".... I still think I'd be willing to try if I had a little knowledge though and having something to practice with would be nice!!! How did you say I could get in touch with that new president???? hehe. From what I've read so far it seems that mushrooms would be an easy target for beginners like me. I am most of all wanting to have aquacultured corals in my tank rather than wild harvested, anything I can do to help the coral reefs.]

[Doris, here I am. And I probably have a few red mushrooms to spare, although I've not looked closely.

Here's a page about Propagation that I put together after attending MACNA last year:

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/macna15/macna_workshop.html

Btw, this forum was set up because it was requested. However, the person(s) requesting the forum never followed through and thus it has been dormant. I'm sure a number of people in the club could post their techniques here and share their experiences - good and bad.]

[Sorry guys, not as into Softies as I am SPS and Clams. I do a lot of prompagating of SPS corals most of the time. I do do some softies every now and again. In fact I have a Green tinted Colt coral now thats being fraged, same with a Capnella that I got from GARF, some Rose and Organge colored Zoanthids. I financed my 65 gallon Acrylic RR from fragging Xenias but what I had left kinda took a dive on me.

My move across country has been postponed pending a job offer locally. Should I get contracted for the Job I will be building 4, 72 x 24 x 14 inch prompagation tanks and start doing some major fragging projects again though. Many of these will be Softies. There is a bigger market for those here as the LFS rarely carries SPS and required equipment for supporting them. So I might be hitting this place up a little more often in the not too distant future.]

[Green Colts! Rose Zoos! I think I love you, man!

:taz:

As soon as I get a decent digital camera (taken back 2 so far) I will post as much as I can in here and hopefully we can get this little nook of the forum rocking!]

[Wow, this is great to see something going on in here and the site that Marc recommended is really good, some great shots and the info. with each picture is also intresting. I would sure like to be able to attend some thing like that!!!! The idea of doing SPS corals is also a really intresting idea. I feel that all of these things would be absolutely great to learn. My problem is that I get so into it when I start on a project like this that I get way to tense and tend to hold my breath, lol. Please anyone that has any good or bad experiences, please share them all, I feel that we can learn from all of them.
Marc you have a pm.]

[From the link I posted, I brought home a small chunk of a Toadstool Leather, and now about a year later, I have a baby toadstool on a 3" trunk, and a larger one next to it. The rubberband basically caused it to grow two trunks from the rockwork.

My Devil's Hand is so large that it tends to rub against the Toadstools, and this could be why they don't grow much. I'll have to take some new pictures and post them here.]

[I think I am getting brave enough to try this with mushrooms. Just finished reading a ton on GARF about doing it. Just gotta take the dive. :sniffle:]

Senior Set wrote:

[Hi Senior Set!

Like you, I'd also like to learn. Glad to know I'm not the only one that holds my breath. I also tend to be all thumbs. My tank is needing thinning out. I want to know what tools I need in order to do this. Please let me know when ya'll do have a frag workshop.

cindy]

[Oooooh! Frag workshop!!! I like the sound of that!

PS... Hey Lyssa... if you used the bridal veil like Marc said, Shrek wouldnt have had a snack! :tongue:]

[Shrek is gonna find a new home! In fact, he swam right into the net and just kind of sat there, freak fish. I had someone I thought wanted him but I am thinking they have backed out... so he will be heading to the LFS soon. Too bad cause he is way cool. In fact he has hit adult hood I think and so when he feeds he turns a bright yellow all over, very cool.

I did buy a specimen box, so I can frag them there and he can't get to them either.]