Cycles of Critters..

I was looking at my tank and sump this morning, and I started to think about all the critters that have came and gone in cycles.. like 'waves' of one kind of critter that come and go. It made me think about how a tank gets 'balanced' over time, and whether or not the end result is a 'mature' tank.

So here are some of the things I've noticed waxing and waning over time..

Tiny brittle stars in my 'fuge
Bristleworms in the main tank
Stomatella in the main tank
Baby ceriths in the fuge
Collonista in the main tank (still have a lot, but less than before)
Keyhole limpets in the sump
Spaghetti worms in the fuge (right now they're on the upswing- they're _everywhere_)
Scypha sponges in the sump and overflows
Ball anemones (also on the upswing)
Red valonia in the 'fuge
Green valonia in the 'fuge
Cyano in the 'fuge
GHA in the 'fuge

So.. what critters have you had explosions then recessions of?

Oh and those little Euplica Versicolor (misnamed 'ISPF Strombus Grazer') snails. They initially exploded, but my population has stabilized.

I wonder if this is one species displacing / outcompeting others, or if it's some natural progression.

Right now I've got an explosion of aptasia in the overflows where I can't get to them! None in the tank that I can see though.

Pretty much all of the above, plus pods. The cyano has been getting a little wild down there.

I also have a crapload of mysid shrimp. I always see those little guys cruising around in the sump...but never in the display! I guess their swimming is just too much for the fish to resist.

aptaisia.....just bought a couple peppermint shrimp

brown flat worms.....got a spotted mandarin and we will see what happens