Clown + bi-color blenny = bad room mates?

GraviT

Premium Member
Just wondering if anybody has encountered problems with the two in the same tank. My clown, either false or true percula (opinions from both sides, was sold to me as an ORA true perc) has been picking at my new bicolor since it's addition on Friday. The blenny isn't even close to any of the clown's aneomone and it's driving me crazy to see him beat up the poor little fish. :sad:

If you look closely, you can see a very stressed bicolor in the center of this shot...

mean_marlon.sized.jpg
alt="">

Hello Kevin! I have both - a maroon gold-stripe clown and a bi-color. Neither fish pick at the other - but I have lots of rock, and the bi-color has holes in those rock to hide in. He doesn't swim around the tank that much, but comes out for feeding time and an occasional "zoom" around the tank. I do not believe that this is due to being picked on, just a preference of the bi-color to sit and watch the world go by.

Just my experience, and I've had them for a few years.

I also had some maroons with a bi-color and the clowns did not bother him at all. He found a nice little hole in a rock where he would perch. Not once did either clowns show aggression towards him. This was in my 29g to boot.

I have a false perc and a bi color blenny and they are getting along fine. I do have a royal gramma in there too and he is the one that tries to pick on the blenny. Mine are in the 38 gal tank.
Hope it works out

Have you tried rearranging rocks in your tank? The clown might have made a large territory, and now the new fish is intruding. Often if you rearrange the rocks when adding a new fish all territories become neutral and they begin to build new ones.

When we added our copper banded butterfly our four stripe damsel kept going after him. After changing the rockwork a little bit we have had zero issues.
-Catherine

Thanks for the replies. I will probably move at least the rock that the blenny has taken a liking to. Perhaps that will settle things down a bit. I've never seen that clown act like that unless something gets too close to it's BTA.

Wow, there is a lot of life in that picture! :D

Thanks mods for moving this thread where it belongs!

The bicolor has decided to re-locate itself to another part of the tank. Now it just has to deal with my cleaner shrimp, which is far less stressful. :D