Cleaning used sand an rock

Hi guys, I picked up a bunch of rock and sand yesterday and have it all sitting in Homer buckets waiting to be cleaned before I set up my tank.

I'm wondering what you guys think is the most effective way of cleaning this stuff. I want a fresh start in my tank. The rock had a think slimy green layer on it and a couple spots of coraline. I've read about soaking in tap water and bleach, I'm curious if that will physically remove all the green from the rocks

While I don't recommend using sand from another tank in your new setup, I've been there and done that and had some bad results, you need to rinse it really good. I didn't rinse mine because I didn't know I was supposed to. My fault for not doing my own research I suppose. I have rinsed sand before and its a long process. What I did was take a garden hose and fill a homer bucket about 1/4 to half full and run the water into it at a good pressure, not too high. And keep stirring and mixing the sand until all the water over flows and its clear. It will take a while, but it will work! For the rock, I would just take some fresh RO or Salt water and scrub it with brushes until you get all the organic matter off. Then put the rock into buckets of fresh saltwater and a heater and a powerhead for flow. The sand I would just leave in buckets with some freshwater mixed with Prime.

Hope this helps!