Clams tougher than you might think

A little over a month ago a large (~6") crocea took a tumble off of it's perch. Due to it's own weight most if not all of the byssal organ was yanked out.
I picked it up and placed it in a more secure location and prepared myself to watch it die. It never even failed to open fully when the lights came on and much to my surprise not only is it still alive over a month later but appears to have re-grown the byssal organ as it is now attached firmly in it's new spot.

I would bet that it was the bysal threads that it ripped out. They are kind of comparable to fingernails as they regrow very fast. The bysal threads are what they use to attach themselves to the substrate.
I'm glad to hear that he is doing well!
Mary

@allhobbs wrote:
I would bet that it was the bysal threads that it ripped out. said:
There was more than just threads. There was a chunk of meaty something ~1-1/2" long and 1/2" diam. that was dangling by the threads. When I looked at the bottom of the clam you could see right away there was something missing.

@Reefmike wrote:
A little over a month ago a large (~6") crocea took a tumble off of it's perch. Due to it's own weight most if not all of the byssal organ was yanked out. I picked it up and placed it in a more secure location and prepared myself to watch it die. It never even failed to open fully when the lights came on and much to my surprise not only is it still alive over a month later but appears to have re-grown the byssal organ as it is now attached firmly in it's new spot. said:
Good to know.

I had a maxima and crocea survive a 98 degree disaster once. In fact they were both open and still attatched in their spots when I got home and discovered what had happened.

Croceas and Maximas are exposed to the air many times in the day on the natural reefs. They live at the very top of the reefs, and when the tides go down they are stuck up top. They are pretty much very hard to kill once mature!

Nick