Chemical Warfare

DFW

Membership Expired
I have a 20 gallon long with hang on filters set up now for about 13 months with euphylias. The hammers, and frogspawn have done well. About 3 months ago I placed my few remaining zoanthids on the sand in this tank, and, to my surprise, they have done well also. Yesterday, for the first time, I fragged a few zoa, and paly colonies, dipped them in tank water with a few drops of Lugol's solution, and placed them back in the tank. Within a few hours all of the euphylias had retracted their polyps. I started running LOTS of carbon - I keep plenty on hand - and yet, right now, they have only barely started to extend their polyps. Will it just take more time to get rid of these toxins? Am I missing something here? I never expected this. I used to frag zoas, and palys all the time when they were in my main system, and never noted anything like this. I expect that the small water volume of the 20 long tank has something to do with this. Has anyone else had this same experience? Any input will be appreciated!

David

did you rinse them after the iodine dip? perhaps you have a high level of iodine and it's bugging your hammers, etc. The only zoa toxin that I've seen affect other softies, etc. was actually from some Texas Trash polys that had a rock fall on them. The results are as you state, the softies seems to be slightly affected, hammers, frogspawn, and torches retracted for a day or 2. Dipping zoas shouldn't have them release their goo, but you never know

@JimiH wrote:
did you rinse them after the iodine dip? perhaps you have a high level of iodine and it's bugging your hammers said:
Thanks for the input! I think my problem is that I had also placed 2 anemones in a basket in that tank a few days ago because they were trying to kill my rose bubbles in my main system. Well, I did not know that bubble anemones would try to kill euphylias, too, but now I know that they will. Fragging the palys was just a coincidence. I have had 20 rose bubbles in my main system - about 110 gallons of water - at one time with all sorts of coral, and never any problems. I got one of those kryptonite bubble tips - very beautiful anemones - it split, and they try to kill everything, I guess. This is all news to me. I guess that in order to keep this variety of bubble tip you MUST NOT have any other anemones with them, and you must have a large volume of water to dilute their chemicals, and run lots of carbon, too. And I am not sure that you can keep them with certain corals even then. I have been wanting to set up a propagation tank for these anemones because they look so good, but will anyone want them if I successfully raise some?

David

you can call me about this, i can tell you all about it i lost all my sps and lps to this....

@DFW wrote:
[I]@Zoa_joc wrote:[/I][quote="you can call me about this said:
Thank you! PM sent.

David"]

It was nice talking to you David, keep me posted and best of luck!

@Zoa_joc wrote:
[I]@DFW wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@Zoa_joc wrote:[/I][quote="you can call me about this said:
Thank you! PM sent.

David"]

It was nice talking to you David, keep me posted and best of luck!"]

Thanks for the call, Brandon!

David

I found a few things related to this.

http://www.asnailsodyssey.com/LEARNABOUT/ANEMONE/anemCnid.php

I know that this is not an anemone filmed here, but it is showing nematocysts firing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zJiBc_N1Zk

If you look at the "Curator's Note" under the picture in the following link, you find their subtle way of saying "This green anemone will kill your stuff!".

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1065&cid=74