Calcium

Ok guys, my tank was running just fine and the last few days my corals, 1 monti and the rest mushrooms, rics, zoas, decide to not open or take on an unusual color!
I have tested for the basics (which is all fine) and for ALK and Cal. The ALK is low and I discovered that my calcium test kit is bad...

So, the plan is to do a water change today (30%) and get by the LFS to pick-up a new Cal test kit!

Is there anything else that I should be testing or looking for based on this information?

Thanks for the help everyone!
Cheryl

Your alkalinity levels are low, probably means your calcium is on the high end. And if your magnesium is on the low side, that puts three very important items for coral calcification out of whack.

Well here we go!

Cal - 720
Alk - 2.06

I would say ~ that is a problem! :eek:

I just did a 30 gallon water change so I'll test it a little later before bed!
Also, I noticed that my salinity was a little high, 1.028 and it's usually around 1.026, so hopefully the water change will help all the above!

It's funny, I was thinking the other day that things were running just a little too smooth! 8)

BTW... I went to 3 LFS and no one carries Magnesium test kits?!
It was too fun to go from one store to the next, only problem was I saw something that I wanted at each! :sad:

Get a very clean container and bring some tank water to my house tomorrow, I will test the magnesium for you.

Thanks so much Rick...
When is a good time for you?

I just tested again...
PH - 7.8
Cal - 645
ALK - dKh - 4.8 meq - 1.71

I dosed with super buffer, so perhaps that will get everything headed back in the right direction! UGH! :?

Guess this is why they call it a hobby! hehe

You can email me anytime I can give you my address and phone number. I thought I sent it to you already though.

I'm using Kent Salt...

I did the mag test and it didn't register! I'll try it again in a moment!

I add a top-off system and it was used, the guy that had it dosed kalk in his top off water so I am wondering if there was some residual in the holding cantainer?!

So what if my mag doesn't register with the second test?

Rick, you may have given me directions once upon a time, but I have no idea!

Here's the latest!

PH - 7.8 (brand?)
Cal - 540 (SeaTest)
ALK - 7.4 (Salifert Test)
Salinity 1.027

I have been doing the mag test and still can't seem to get a result! Could it be that my mag is high?
Also my new test kits should be here today and they are all Salifert, so I feel that I will be getting more accurate readings with those!
The plan is another water change this evening, test and dose with superbuffer!

Am I headed in the right direction? I am thinking yes since my Cal is down and Alk is up!

Are we having fun yet?
Thanks for the help you guys!

I just looked at the other post in the reef section regarding water perimeters! Great information! Thanks guys!