Brittle Stars

So I was thinking about trying to find a few brittle stars for my tank. I know that the large green and large black ones can sometimes go after fish, snails and such. What about the smaller ones? I have two Pajama Cardinalfish, two peppermint shrimp, 3 or 4 small turbo snails, and 4 or 5 hermit crabs. I don't have much coral but I would like to keep what I have which is GSP and Kenya Tree so hopefully they are fully reef safe. From what I have read they are not a problem but I wanted to make sure.

Also, where is a good place to get them from?

Tim

I have a ton of the small 2-3" brittle stars. Can grab you out some if you want. They eat algae and detritus. These guys are small and you normally just see their arms waving out of the rock.

@murphyme wrote:
I have a ton of the small 2-3" brittle stars. Can grab you out some if you want. They eat algae and detritus. These guys are small and you normally just see their arms waving out of the rock. said:
That would be awesome of you Michelle! I would love to have a few. Right now I am in a 20 gallon and loving it, but still working hard on getting my 150 going.

Tim

I have a green brittle in my tank that started out as a 3-4" speciman curently he is about 6+". He has been a model citizen. I have 2 cleaners in my tank and a small cleanup crew. I do spot feed him about every week or so when he comes out of the rock work during feeding. He has never gone after any of my fish. He will also take food straight from my hand when I spot feed.

I have always had large and small brittle stars in my tank with no issues. I think that it is more the Serpant Star fish that are known to snag an unsuspecting fish from time to time....