Be as critical as you like...

It has been a while since my last new tank... Almost 6 years.. I recently picked up a Red Sea Reefer 250. My equipment is as follows:

2 x MP10WQD
2 x AI Pirme
1 Bubble Magus G5 Skimmer
1 Aqua Maxx Omega 1 BioPellet Reactor
Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0
Eshopps dosing pump

This is going to be an SPS only/dominated tank.. I am not against the idea of some high end Acans/Zoas/Plate Corals but, SPS is priority number 1.

What I am asking input on is my current aquascaping. I have never been much of a visionary on the matter. 3:5 ratios and negative space to me apply to photography, not reefs. I have snorkeled / dove at 9 Caribbean island and the Florida Keys: most of the "reefs that I have seen have been nothing more than a large rock outcropping followed by another (read: not that impressive).

Let me know your thoughts...

Regards,

Cameron

Looks great... My only thought is most corals will be at the same depth and subject to the same flow. A few branches going up might provide some shelfs for corals and hiding places for fish.

I have thought of that.. the depth of the aquascape is not justified in the photos; there are two arches and at least 4 cave areas for hiding. I hope to establish the height through branching acroporas. My main focus has been shelf area for the mounting of corals.

I love the shelf area, I am a fan of large pieces... it reminds me of the reefs in Mexico... What fish are you selecting?

That has yet to be decided.. Being rimless, I have to be a bit more selective..the tank will house at least two pygmy angels as they are my favorites.. After that.. No clue..

The only thing that concerns me is the MP10's being too small. I'm used to seeing and using those on tanks under 30 gallons, and I've used MP40's turned up on 75 gallon freshwater tanks.

@jccaclimber wrote:
The only thing that concerns me is the MP10's being too small. I'm used to seeing and using those on tanks under 30 gallons said:
2 MP10's will give me 3000 gallons per hour - In this size of tank I believe this will be fine - MP40's would have to be dialed way back.

@Cameron wrote:
[I]@jccaclimber wrote:[/I][quote="The only thing that concerns me is the MP10's being too small. I'm used to seeing and using those on tanks under 30 gallons said:
2 MP10's will give me 3000 gallons per hour - In this size of tank I believe this will be fine - MP40's would have to be dialed way back."]

I agree, think 2 MP10's is enough. I had 2 on a tank that size and the problem was dead space, not the total amount of flow. With your rock work and lack of a huge center overflow I think your dead spae will be minimum.

@jccaclimber wrote:
The only thing that concerns me is the MP10's being too small. I'm used to seeing and using those on tanks under 30 gallons said:
Red Sea Reefer 250 is close to 50 gallons, not 250 as the name might suggest

@Acro_holic wrote:
[I]@jccaclimber wrote:[/I][quote="The only thing that concerns me is the MP10's being too small. I'm used to seeing and using those on tanks under 30 gallons said:
Red Sea Reefer 250 is close to 50 gallons, not 250 as the name might suggest"]

It's 65 gallons total water volume - 35.5 x 20 x 20 with glass thickness the display volume is around 55 gallons.

I have done flow tests and the only dead spot is right at the base of the overflow on left side (facing tank)

The diatom bloom has started... so no pictures for a bit.. It is not as bad as I anticipated. Just a bit on the sand for now. I have added a few sacrificial crabs from my other tank to take care of it (don't worry.. ammonia is at zero).

Non lethal hahaha.. when I went for my test kits.. I discovered they had long since expired (all I test for in the main tank is phosphates, calcium and alkalinity.) I will be picking up some new ones on the way home.

I have been bored at work so.. here is what I am thinking for a stock list:

First fish will be introduced around the 4 month mark.

4 x Red Stop Light Cardinalfish
1 x Yellow Candy Hogfish
1 x Clingfish
3 x Captive-Bred Orbic Cardinalfish
1 x Green Canary Blenny

How have your AI primes been working out? Do you think they will be good enough for SPS corals? I am thinking about picking up the reefer 250 as well with the AI Primes.

Thanks!