alage problems in small tanks

does anybody have an algae problem in there nanos. Ive got a 12 gallon jbj nano cube, and the alage is a real problem, theres both coraline and green and brown. i dont have a problem with nitrates or ammonia...anybody has an answer id appericate it alot, and i just started so everythings kinda new. (and expensive)

i believe coraline algae is only purple, you may be mistaken. if you have a slight algae problem, astrea snails can take care of that.

@exigency wrote:
i believe coraline algae is only purple said:
Coraline comes in a LOT of fcolors, although purple tends to be dominant in our tanks, but I've seen purple, green, red, pink, even white...

I have purple, green, pink, and a rich velvety red.

But to get back to the original question..

It's pretty typical for a new tank to go through a rainbow of colors in the first 6 months. Diatoms, cyano, gha- all will look like they're taking over in the first couple of months.

What kind of clean-up crew do you have?

well i guess i was very wrong, haha. clean up crew usually pertains to those inverterbrates that, more or less, clean up your tank and keep it nice and tidy. please shoot me now if i was wrong with that previous statement. :shock:

You got it.. crabs and snails.. or just snails (some leave crabs out of their cleani-up crew.)

Were it me, I'd make sure I had a few nasarrius vibex snails, maybe a couple of ceriths, a smaller turbo, three or four astrea snails and five or six small hermit crabs.

If everything else is in line (nitrates, alk, temp, phosphate) and you're doing regular water changes, feeding appropriately, I'd think most of the problems will go away with time.

"everythings kinda new" and you've got coralline spots on the glass already? You're doing something right.

Be careful as you scrape that off so as not to scratch the glass. A small piece of acrylic or a credit card will take it off.