Accessing AC3 from remote location

I finally got my router/wireless bridge/AC3 configured, and I can access the AC3 at home from my computer. So I type in what's my ip address.com and get my ip address. At work I typed that address in and it's asking for a user name/password. Would that be the user name and password for my wireless network or my router's user/password? I do have my wireless network password protected.

Another question is what if I'm out of town and my IP address changes. Then I wouldn't know my IP address and couldn't access the AC3. In the manual it talks about a dynamic IP address. How do you know if you have that? What is the difference in a dynamic IP address and a Wan IP address?

Thanks, if anybody can make sense of all that.

Kay

@janakaybravo wrote:
I finally got my router/wireless bridge/AC3 configured said:
Kay, did you set up a port forwarding on your router so that incoming traffic goes to the ip address of the AC? If not, then it looks like you have 'remote management' turned on (this is not very safe.)

To deal with the dynamic ip address, you need to set up an account at no-ip.com or dyndns.org. Then set up a static hostname, and install the local client software on a pc that's always on. That way you'll always have a hostname like kaystank.zapto.org regardless of what your ip address changes to.

I had my computer guy help me because I just got stuck. My router's settings were not right to accomdate the address of the wireless bridge, and I really don't know what he did. I don't think he did the port forwarding though, because he was telling me I would need my IP address to access it remotely or have to pay more to have a permanent IP address. How would I check that to know if the port forwarding is on?
I tried to call him but haven't been able to reach him yet.

I'm so lost as a rock on this stuff.

Kay

Well, it depends on the brand of router.. if it's a belkin, look for 'virtual servers'.. if it's a linksys check 'applications and gaming'.. Dlink.. can't' remember- maybe bryan can explain where his settings are.

Scott, thanks for answering. You must be an IT guy. So after my last post I typed in my IP address again. Then when it asked me for my user name and password I typed in the user name and password for the AC3 just for heck of it. Then guess what! It went to the AC3 screen. So does that mean that it's port forwarded? I assume yes.

Then next I need to get a permanent IP address like you posted above to always be able to access the AC3 (say if I'm out of town for a week?)

Learning something new every day.

Kay

Okay, I don't speak computer so that one went over my head. What is a dynamic DNS? I thought I needed a static IP address and my IT guy said you have to pay for those. I'm trying to make sure I can access the AC3 when out of town for a week. The IP address changes (AT&T) every few days. So how are y'all doing it? My IT guy said I could get Logmeon.com account, free account, and remotely check my computer's current IP address and then use that to get to the AC3. That would be free. Is there another way? If I get a static IP address am I going to have to change all my settings in my router/wireless bridge/AC3? I finallly got it to work and don't want to mess with that again!

What's Reefchat?

Kay

Nah, you don't have to have a static IP address. All you need is a static name from a site like dyndns.org or no-ip.com. The program they provide runs on your computer and every so often, it checks to see if your ip address has changed. If so, it informs the servers that handle your static name. That way you don't have to purchase a static ip from your ISP, yet you have a name that doesn't change.

hehe - Sorry Kay did not mean to confuse you. Dynamic DNS is what Scott is talking about. dyndns or noip are just two of the providers. You can pick from a choice of free domain names. Mine is reef.homeip.net and with that and a few other parts it will always go to my AC3.

I have FIOS and also a non-static ip. but with the little desktop client running it always lets dyndns know what my ip is. So it, for lack of a better way to explain, it fakes it.

ReefChat is another saltwater oriented site that has a signature generator to create the sigs you see like Scott's, David Washington, mine and others. It will poll your AC3 and produce the sig image.

ReefChat.org is the site, take a minute to check it out. If for nothing else you can sign up for the sig gen part. Many of it members are from here and ReefCentral. For the most the sig gen is the only reason they joined.