40 Breeder Build

I got out of the hobby a couple of years ago, and started back again a couple of months ago with a custom 10 gallon that I did myself. I have always wanted a 40 breeder, so I picked one up during the most recent dollar per gallon sale at Petco and finally got started on it this week.

I'll list my plans for the tank first and then get into the build.

40 Breeder
20 Gallon Long Sump
Mars Aqua 165w LED Light
Lifegard 758 GPH Return Pump
MP10WES
American DJ Power Strip

I'm going all natural filtration, running a canister filter underneath in the sump when needed. I've always had skimmers before and, in my opinion, they are finicky and aren't worth the money.

For fish, I'm going with a pair of Snowflake clowns, a pair of wrasses, a goby, and maybe a blenny. It will be a mixed reef, with LPS and SPS.

I built the stand myself, but I'm having some trouble deciding on how to make the front panel/door. I originally was going to use magnets and just have a front panel that popped off, but I used 1/8 inch sheathing for the outer paneling, so it bowed too much. Do you guys have any ideas on how I could do that?

I will be adding some 1x3's cut at a 45 on the ends, to the top and bottom of the stand to cover the imperfect edges of the paneling and to cover the black trim of the tank.

Here is a link to pics so far. I should have it up and running by the end of this week or next week.

http://imgur.com/a/8OKo6

Thanks for looking and I'm open to criticism.

I don't know if anyone is interested in the build or not, but I got a little more done today, updated in the album I posted in the original post. Drilled the tank for a return in the center and two supplies on the ends, siliconed the overflow box in, plastidipped the back of the tank, and mounted the DJ strip under the stand. I'm hoping to have it up and running this weekend.

It would be nice if you attached your images with the IMGUR urls. Images usually get responses. :)

For example I right clicked one image, save Copy URL and will paste it between IMG tags:
25omjKv.jpg
alt="">

The door situation is challenging. Paneling will bend because it is so thin, and the moisture will make it bend/warp as well. Perhaps a 3/4" plywood door would be better overall.

Nice progress so far.

I actually skipped over because I saw a link instead of pics. I can't look at external pic sites like that at work and that's when I troll lol. pics = good!!!

Here are the pics so far:
25omjKvh.jpg
alt="">
wGo0Oefh.jpg
alt="">
EAQPyydh.jpg
alt="">
FdsQmcHh.jpg
alt="">
TqLg89th.jpg
alt="">
xW5cpQQh.jpg
alt="">
yrff7Rwh.jpg
alt="">
DmGn5cXh.jpg
alt="">
rBd0Zw1h.jpg
alt="">
WKGaDCFh.jpg
alt="">
kfy1YHLh.jpg
alt="">
9hEQ05ih.jpg
alt="">
njRo1oeh.jpg
alt="">

There you go. Some of them aren't in order, but you get the idea.

I have to get another bulkhead from the store today and put it in my other supply along with some lok line fittings, then all I'm really waiting on is my light to get here and I'm set.

I came up with an idea for the door, I think I'm going to line the outside of it with 1x3s to match the trim I'm putting on my stand. So it will look like a big picture frame and the 1x3s will keep the thin paneling rigid and stop it from bowing.

Have an update for those that are interested, it's up and running! I got my rock, sand and water in it and started it up on Saturday.

I'm having a problem with drain noise. The way I have it setup, I don't have any kind of elbow coming out of the bulkhead for the drain on the inside of the tank, there was no room for one in the overflow. Coming out of the drain on the outside of the tank is just an elbow going down, leading into the sump. I'm having a problem with the drain gurgling going into the bulkhead from the inside of the tank, if I put a tee and cap with a hole drilled in the top of the cap on the outside of the tank on the drain instead of an elbow like I have now, will that cut down on the drain noise? I'm open to all options.

Here are some new pictures:
b8XdrmM.jpg
alt="">
ZKyRbum.jpg
alt="">
Iu3gqcV.jpg
alt="">
MnKgUQ9.jpg
alt="">
SAsayQg.jpg
alt="">
NpuU4T4.jpg
alt="">
UMoKQTv.jpg
alt="">

Let me know what you guys think!

Looks good!! Up and running? where is the water? lol The Tee with a cap on one end should do essentially the same thing. I haven't ever personally tried it though so all I can say is "should".

@MJMK wrote:
Looks good!! Up and running? where is the water? lol The Tee with a cap on one end should do essentially the same thing. I haven't ever personally tried it though so all I can say is "should". said:
Haha it's in there, I just didn't snap a pic of it after I added the water.

Quick question, where did you get the glass for your sump? I'm in the process ("in the process" = "for the last year I've been!!") of putting together a system. I'm building the sump and I need some glass panels.