Looking for 180 setup help - Flow questions

[i am replacing my 125 with a 180 dual RR brick-style for sps tank. tank is 24 tall and stand will be 33inches tall.
i have a mag 18, gen-x mak IV,(one of them will be closed loop pump, berlin sump with trigger sys skimmer. My question to that is about flow, do i need alot more, Seio?, tunze? wavebox?
or should i just get a sequence pump for return and skimmer and share it, and do a loop.

any advise appreciated

Kevin]

[What do you plan to keep in your tank? If you share your goals, we can help better.]

[SPS, LPS, Zo's, and ricordeas, few fish. I have 200# of southdown, more if needed. Lighting i am planning on 3 x 250 DE halides with 440 vho.
I want to run a Berlin sump with trigger sys skimmer, and tee off return to lead to a fuge. I have a drop in chiller.

Are you coming to Next Wave? Click the banner below now to reserve your seat and meal!

YES!!!]

Edited By chevytrks on 1111409777

[Kevin. I will add that I have 225 which is very close to a 180 except its 30x72x24. I mainly keep sps and lighting and flow is key to me. I have three Tunze 6100s and I have a Tunze wavebox on order. And I still have 4 Maxi-Jet 1200s in the tank which I might remove when I get the wavebox. Of course I do not have a sandbed, so no worries about blowing sand off the bottom. My tank is visible from both sides or I would have set up a closed loop. Not so much because I think the flow would be better, but because I think it would look better, cost less, add less heat to the tank, and have less maintenance. You prospective lighting looks excellant though and you should have no problems keeping anything you want.]

[Kevin, as Rick said your lighting is fine for anything you want to keep! I'm also with Rick on the flow issue and think most of us have highly inadequate flow for SPS! On my 135 I have a Mag 12 return, Iwaki 55 closed loop (2 outputs with penductors), 2 Tunze 6000s, 2 Seio 820s, and 1 maxijet 1200. So I figure I'm getting a minimum of 5000GPH and probably closer to 7000 with the penductors. I have about an inch of crushed coral for substrate so I don't have to worry about it blowing around much!

For your flow I would go with the Mak for the return since it's pressure rated and the mag on the closed loop (no true head pressure on a closed loop only friction loss).
That should give you somewhere in the 2500GPH range on ~200 gallons of water or 12.5 times turnover.

I would want more for SPS. If you have the money adding the Tunze Turbelle Stream Kit TS24 would give you all you ever wanted and more with the nice new controller.

If you want to go cheaper the Seio 1500s are nice but not controllable, big and use twice the power of an equivelent Stream.

I'm also really impressed by the wavebox and think you might be able to get away with just that and the return and closed loop as that really helps suspend the detritus but I don't have enough experience with it to tell you for sure!]

[Kevin, some numbers for you. I have 11.5 sq feet of bottom in my tank. I put in 200# of sand and it gave me a 3" deep bed.]

[i have 200# of southdown i got from Sandman, if its not enough then i can get more. 3 inch bed would be fine for me. I could always try and price black starboard too.
I think i may just have to buck up and get some tunze streams, or a wavebox (wavebox only? or both).
(would have the money for it if someone buys my non reef items for sale
:eyebrows:
i have a squid, but i think a mag 18 would be too much.
Perhaps i should just get a better pump for return and use the makIV for loop.

Thanks for advising, keep it coming.
Kevin]