Where did everyone go?

Hookem2006

Premium Member
Been out of the hobby for about 5 years and am about to get back in. When I left, this place was soooo active. Now it seems everyone left? What happened?

It's crazy! I just started a new tank after being away for a few years and the two forums I used to always be on are ghost towns. I know people use Facebook a lot and its ok for selling stuff I guess, but there's no good discussion. 

The discussions were/are such a valuable thing and I don't like yet another facebook group to manage as well.... but oh well.... times do change.  :)

Posted by: @waterbeing The discussions were/are such a valuable thing and I don't like yet another facebook group to manage as well.... but oh well.... times do change.  :)   said:
I agree, I hope we can get things back on track again.  Technically with so many people being at home, you'd think the forums would be busy with chatter.

@waterbeing I agree as well. I've joined a number of the facebook groups but I don't understand them for the most part. either spam, or auctions for corals I can't even see because they're drowned in blue leds, or "waffles" (haven't figured out what that means yet). These forums were far superior to any facebook group I've seen.

g That's exactly what I'm saying. I've joined a few facebook groups, but I have no idea what any of them are for other than the fact that they exist. Either spam, auctions for corals I can't even see since they're submerged in blue leds, or "waffles" These discussion boards were head and shoulders above any facebook group I've been a part of.

I guess a few of us need to start posting regularly to the forums to improve activity. I remember back in 2003 begging members to please use our new forums at each meeting. :)

It would be nice if Facebook would step up and start closing the Facebook reefing groups not trying to be an asshole but

Posted by: @jmccool03 @waterbeing I agree as well. I've joined a number of the facebook groups but I don't understand them for the most part. either spam said:
I'm very late to this thread and you probably know by now, but "waffle" is code for raffle.   They use code words for several things that are flagged by facebook to keep it from being deleted.  There is good information out there but there is no organization so it gets buried and lost forever fairly quickly.  I do like some of the groups and I've seen some good for sale items I would have loved to have gotten but I don't understand facebooks algorithm.   They will be showing me posts from the last hour or so and then one will pop up that is 3 or 4 days old and the item is of course long gone.

Hate to say it but these local groups have basically been replaced by facebook and large national boards like Reef2Reef.   I do wish the local board would be more than a place to sell.  Reef2Reef has basically become a look at me, look how much money I've spent on my tank place or a please tell me the "name" of this coral.

Posted by: @hookem2006 Been out of the hobby for about 5 years and am about to get back in. When I left said:
I believe people now prefer more to read advices from experts, rather then to write something by themselves.. Or they prefer to google everything now

I think the admins of this site should start getting some events put together to try to increase traffic and retention. Texas Coral fest was a few weeks back and there was no mention of it anywhere here. Aquashella is coming to town, and same thing. It’s not a dfwmas sponsored event but having a simple thread here for it could get a discussion going. 
In addition to club member events, they could resume the PAR meter rental program and revise the digital membership card, that still doesn’t work most of the time. 

Fresh blood is what's needed most.  Members stepping up to make post, progress photos, and getting involved in the leadership of the club.  I agree that the BOD can take a more active role, but for now, most of us are just trying to keep the club afloat.  I've was on the BOD for a large part of the last decade, but life has taken up much more of my time, and I only have small amounts of it to commit to the club.

The membership card going digital was a step in the right direction, but I agree that it's a PITA the access especially when needed quickly.  We are working on that, but again, only so much time to keep up with it.  

I also agree with the club having more events and the BOD would love to pursue this, but it would be great if a member or two took the lead.  I'd be happy to advise, but just don't have the time to plan it.  Frag swaps are great events and we haven't had one since the pandemic hit.  
My advice to anyone seeing the club regression would be to see what you can do personally to help get it going again. FB seems to be good for some but not for all, and this really is the best place for local info.  We are open to suggestions, and would love people who want to take the ball and run with it.  

This is a bummer, I am not on facebook. I get the appeal of creating groups for local over a forum, but not having a facebook account restricts you from a lot of the local stuff!