What should I raise?

Okay guys. I'm looking into raising some food for my tank. Just as much for my enjoyment of raising the food as for my corals health. I need a smaller setup than most of you guys though, because I'm only running a 29g nano atm.

So let me give you a quick run down of my tank inhabitants. All of these are frags at the moment. No large colonies... but I want them to get that way quickly so... they need to eat a lot! lol.

SPS - 9 pieces. Montipora Digitata, Monti Cap, Pink Birdsnest, Apple Something Birdsnest (not scientific), Green Slimer, Unknown, Purple Tipped Acro, Pink Stylo, Meteor Shower (I've heard these referred to as both SPS and LPS)
LPS - 8 pieces. Frogspawn, War Coral, Dendro, Reverse Prism Favia, Nuclear Favia, War Coral, Duncans, Acan
Others - 5 different Zoas, Green Sinularia, Green Hairy Mushrooms, Rhodactis Mushrooms, Superman Mushrooms, Tri-Color Ricordia

So first of all... I'm not concerned with feeding anything but SPS and LPS obviously. I have amphipods and copepods in my system currently with a rock rubble refugium. So my first question is WHAT should I grow to feed? Should I grow zooplankton for my SPS? Brine for LPS? One of the two? Neither? Something completely different. You guys tell me!

Once I get you guys who are more experienced than me to guide me in the right direction I'll research how to grow that specific item and ask more questions from there. :)

Thanks!

I would buy quality frozen food I prefer rods food as it is good blend of fish food and coral food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So with no responses on growing anything... this can turn into a "Rods Food" questions thread. lol.

So after doing some research on rods it looks great. But I think I have my tank setup different than using an all in 1 package like this. I have 2 clown fish, 1 coral banded, 1 brittle star, and a handful of crabs and snails. 5 blue legs, 1 turbo, 4 astrea. My style is to feed until the fish are finished and net extra food back out. Once a week I'll spot feed the brittle star and shrimp. I've kept great water parameters this way (unmeasurable ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphate, 8.2 pH, 9kH, 1.024 salinity... exactly where I want everything... I guess if I were Jesus I would raise my karbonate hardness to 10 but... eh), and I'm a little cautious to change to the "feed the whole tank with a bunch of crabs and snails to pick up the slack" style.

Thoughts? Advise?

Rods food actually keeps very well I have had a package for over 6 months in my freezer. A little goes a long ways I feed half a dime size portion to 7 fish.

10 is a litt1e high for alk in my opinion. 8-9 is perfect range.

If you specifically want something for your corals look into reefnutritions either rotifeast or phytofeast

I'll pick up some rods for sure. Just don't know if I can overcome my need to keep a clean tank and not spot feed. lol. I'll have to pick up some coral only from rods as well for a coral only pico. Very cool find! I'm glad you suggested it. I wish more places would carry it. I'm 2 hours from neptune.

I also have a 28 gallon SPS/LPS tank with a fuge and skimmer that I use 1 spot feeding and 1 broadcast feeding per day (small of corse).
My Target feeding consists of PE Mysis, Rotifers, Oyster Feast and marine garlic.
The broadcast feeding consists of Reef Snow & Oyster Feast.

I also have water tests near perfect.

@kuyatwo wrote:
Rods food actually keeps very well I have had a package for over 6 months in my freezer. A little goes a long ways I feed half a dime size portion to 7 fish. said:
Wow really? Do you feed anything else? how often do you feed?

I guess I'm STILL overfeeding. I feed a quarter size piece every other day to 2 4" tangs, 1 6" foxface, 2 1" blue chromies, and 2 1" clowns. A couple shrimp and a big nem are in there two. I also target feed the nem with shrimp, some sun corals with some misys and I put a 4x4 piece of Nori in every other day. On days I dont do the Rods I feed a cube of mysis.

I don't have that many fish and I feed them three to four times a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use Rods food, and every once and a while I'll toss in some Reef Nutrition stuff for my corals which my fish love too. I only feed about half a dime size as well and three times at most a week. Between then I toss in a few pellets (New life Spectrum). I have one clown, 3 anthias, one mandarin, red sea rabbitfish, and a melanarus wrasse in my DT. In my frag tank I have a yell coris wrasse, one clown, and a blue yellow tail damsel.