unexpected life saver using Reef Diaper Disposable Filter Socks

Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors
I expected Reef Diapers Disposable Socks to be a time saver, but its been an unexpected bonus benefit of also being a LIFE saver!

Last year I setup FOWLR tank with 4" sock holder in sump. The first time I changed "disposable diaper" sock, I noticed something moved inside!

In my main reef tank using rectangular felt socks, those socks are opaque. Seeing something moving aroused my curiosity. With a little bit of effort, I was able to break apart the pleats to see all areas of socks... and for weeks I was finding an average of 30+ amphipods and 1 starfish... EACH sock change!

Remember the little boy who finds beach filled with starfish, throws one back and to that one starfish it means so much? Well, that is now me. When I change my sock, I now fan open my diaper, saving any amiphods and starfish I can. I might not get them all, but if they had been going into opaque felt socks, they all would have died.

Looking forward to future 4.5"x7" rectangular opening Reef Diaper sock - it would let me save so many more lives because my main tank (and sump) are so much bigger and much more biodiversity! I shudder to think of what has fallen into those felt socks and if not pounded to death, they go into a bucket for later cleaning before reuse... so sadly I can't even see what suffocates. Those felt socks can't be opened up for examination.

Thank You Reef Diaper for helping me save what I can save!

When sock gets dirty it balloon out. Below is photo when I first installed it... there is now a different skimmer in my center sump area of 60 gallon FOWLR tank, so its an older photo. The two part diaper collar is very sturdy, and while goes together very snug, those friction blue grips make it easy for me to release when it is diaper change time.

Attachments

• IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 3