The Washington Reef 75/200 Gal Reef Tanks

washingtond

Premium Member
This is a retro report of the thinking and design considerations that went onto our 200 gal reef project that started Feb 2005 with the designing of the system. We wanted a solid Maple cabinet with all the space needed for most of the equipment and easy access were the primary considerations.

I designed the Sump/Refugium and it was built by Marc in Fort Worth after I emailed him the plans. It was designed to have a skimmer section and a refugium section with Caulerpa algae. It holds approx 45 gals of water. Click here for more details on Model L http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/l/sump_model_l.html

A close friend who is really good with woodworking built and stained the cabinet again to my specifications. The tank was an Oceanic Reef Ready Brick style built here in Dallas. The tank dimensions are 7’ by 24” by 24”. The cabinet was designed with one end open so that sump could be removed if necessary. Here are some pictures”
DSC03938.jpg
alt="">
DSC03939.jpg
alt="">
DSC03943.jpg
alt="">

The whole thing came together in Sept 05 when I started with the plumbing using a Sequence Dart pump for the return. Decided on an Aqua C EV180 Skimmer, the sump also has 2 ea Phosban reactors. First filled with water for leak checks in mid Oct 05 and there were none. The design includes a drain pipe used for water changes and it discharges the old water down the drive way at the same time new water is pumped into the aquarium at the same time. The system allows us to do a 35 gal water change in less than 10 min.
DSC04032.jpg
alt="">
DSC04024.jpg
alt="">
DSC04025.jpg
alt="">
DSC04029.jpg
alt="">

For the lighting I decided on 4 ea. 250W XM Metal Halides along with 2 ea. 72” VHO Actinic all placed into the canopy. The MH are being driven by 2 ea dual PFO Magnetic Ballast and the VHO’s by an IceCap Electronic Ballast.
DSC04041.jpg
alt="">
DSC04044.jpg
alt="">

Did not have room for a fish room so all the lighting electronics, water storage tank are located in the garage which in on the other side of the wall behind the aquarium. With a 6 inch hole in the wall for all the wiring and tubing and next summer I plan to put a chiller out there as well.
Timers for the lights
Timers.jpg
alt="">
The Ballast and Timers
Timer1.jpg
alt="">

Here is the top off water storage tank and lighting equipment located in the garage. The storage tank has a MaxiJet 1200 pump connected to a JBJ ATO controller located in the cabinet. The water line runs to the overflow on the tank to prevent water from draining out of the storage tank.
DSC04037.jpg
alt="">

Filled the tank with RO/DI water and mixed Kent Salt in Nov 05 with all the pumps running for about two weeks also activated the Auto Top Off system at that time as well. The circulation pumps are 3 ea Tunze 6100’s and 1 ea. 6000 with at 7095 controller.

Ordered most of the live rock from the Florida Live Rock http://www.floridaliverock.com/ and it came with lots of stuff on it, but nothing really bad. The rock did come with 4 baby Urchins that were the size of a head on a nail, but more on them later in this report. Also added 7 Damsel’s and a clean up crew to cycle the tank and also added the cured base live rock, all purchased at LFS. With the Florida Live Rock, I talked to the diver on Tue to tell him what size rock I wanted and it was in my tank that Thurs.

We were really surprised that there was never a hair algae breakout ever…. And now that everything is up a running here is what the skimmer was pulling out back then.
Skimmer.jpg
alt="">

Here is how things looked back then, January 06
DSC04045.jpg
alt="">

Now for the fun part adding corals since the tank cycled very quickly we started adding corals in Jan 06 and here are some of the first ones.
DSC_3259.jpg
alt="">
DSC_3260.jpg
alt="">
DSC_3266.jpg
alt="">
DSC_3282.jpg
alt="">
DSC_3283.jpg
alt="">

Uhmm...and how does it looks now? You know, we always need more eye candy. :lol:

I like build threads that are put up after the build. You don't have to wait on the build process to see the result.
-Chuck

When we first started this project we had an Electrician run a 20 amp GFI circuit to support the aquarium. Everything on the tank is supported by this circuit except for the main return pump which is on another circuit incase the GFI trips, this will maintain circulation in the tank if that ever happens.

I have designed a side cabinet that will house the rest of the equipment such as the electrical and CO2 tank. My friend is building this cabinet as of this writing.

From Jan 06 to thru the summer we just added various SPS frags, sticks as my wife calls them. The aquarium was dose with EVS two part to maintain Calcium and alkalinity levels. I also dripped Kalk 24/7 from a home made system into the aquarium. I can make up over 20 gals of Kalk at a time since I travel a lot and needed a way of maintaining the drip for 7 days at a time. Also does EVS magnesium when require by testing. I used Kent salt up until the supply from a local group buy ran out then switched to Reef Crystals salt. I made this change because of all the problems report with the Kent salt at that time.

The overall tank maintains the following parameters:

1.026 SP
8.05 – 8.32 PH (day/night swing)
420 ppm Ca
8.6 Kh
1350 Mg

During the summer months in Texas it gets really hot and I really did not want to add a chiller to the tank so I placed a small room AC unit in the garage that vented into the bottom of the aquarium stand in the house. Since the tank is against the wall and the back of stand and canopy are open I sealed the back outer edges of the stand and aquarium so that the cold air from the AC unit would channel up the back of the stand and aquarium into the canopy where fans would pull the heat out of the top.
This is where the cold air comes into the stand from the AC unit: There are two 4” cooling fan on top of the canopy both pulling air out. I have a temp controller that turns on/off the AC unit and heater so that they are not ever in conflict.

The system worked as the aquarium temps never went above 83 degrees during the hottest part of the summer when outside temps were over 100 degrees, and we had over 30 of those days this past summer. By the way our highest electric bill was $843 for one month in Aug this past summer. OUCH.

In Aug 06 I added a GEO618 Calcium Reactor with a PH controller and that really made life much easier since I no longer had to dose with the two part system. Also ALK and CA levels in the aquarium becoming much more stable without the wild swings.
sebc8c903.jpg
alt="">

Also noticed that the growth of the coral frags was really taking off and I would suggest to anyone building a system that you need a Calcium Reactor. By the way I still drip the Kalk to maintain the PH levels

Here is a closer look at the hardware:
Here is the Aqua Logic Controller:
sebc8cb0e.jpg
alt="">
Here is a view of some of the controllers that are used and the Tunze drivers:
sebc87fc2.jpg
alt="">

Here is the hole going into the garage, all this equipment on the floor will be going into the equipment cabinet when it is completed. This cabinet will contain an electrical panel that the DJ switches will be mounted to as well. I hope to have this cabinet and all the final trim on the tank complete by the middle of Jan 07.

sebc8ca04.jpg
alt="">

This is the air outlet from the outside AC unit bring cool air into the base of the cabinet.
sebc8c984.jpg
alt="">
The Dart Return pump:
sebc881ef.jpg
alt="">
sebc8812f.jpg
alt="">

The output of the return pump flows into a manifold located above the sump shown herein these two pictures:
sebc882b8.jpg
alt="">
sebc88105.jpg
alt="">
Here is a view of the right side of the manifold and notice the spare outlet that can be used if I decide to add a chiller. The power of the manifold is that many other things such as the PhosBan and a chiller can all be driven from the main return pump.
sebc87f3a.jpg
alt="">
sebc87e55.jpg
alt="">
sebc87e09.jpg
alt="">

Here are some pictures of the aquarium taken this past August 06.

We were able to get some large pieces from a friend who was down sizing there tank.

Here is a nice clam from Gigi’s tank:
DSC_4123e.jpg
alt="">
Here is a large Acro from that tank:
DSC_4131e.jpg
alt="">
This is the frag from Peter Lin that we got back in Jan 06
DSC_4178e.jpg
alt="">
From a LFS:
DSC_4177e.jpg
alt="">
An Emerald Crab (one of three) in the tank:
DSC_4169e.jpg
alt="">
DSC_4146e.jpg
alt="">
A full tank view taken in Aug 06:
DSC_4126e.jpg
alt="">

The end of July 06 we had to remove the Dart Return pump for cleaning to remove the Calcium deposits. Also broke down the Aqua C EV 180 Skimmer as the injections jets became clogged.

We are also had an outbreak of Bubble Algae back in the summer with bubbles of all sizes. That was when we added the Emerald Crabs who did not seem to touch it. Some of the bubbles were very large. The algae seem to be in the decline now however.

Now for some pictures taken in Dec 06:
DSC_4616e.jpg
alt="">
DSC_4623e.jpg
alt="">
DSC_4624e.jpg
alt="">
DSC_4627e.jpg
alt="">
DSC_4629e.jpg
alt="">

This Blue Sponge came from Gigi’s tank back in Aug picture were all taken Dec 06:
DSC_4633e.jpg
alt="">
DSC_4630e.jpg
alt="">
DSC_4637e.jpg
alt="">
DSC_4646e.jpg
alt="">
DSC_4648e.jpg
alt="">

Full Tank View:
DSC_4674e.jpg
alt="">
View from the end:
DSC_4670e.jpg
alt="">
This picture was taken with the two middle MH lights off.
DSC_4678e.jpg
alt="">
This picture was taken with only the left side MH on.
DSC_4679e.jpg
alt="">
Can hardly wait for things to grow up.

Getting back the Urchins, They were hitchhikers on the live rock that I purchased in Oct 05. Back then they were the size of a head on a nail. Now they have almost a 4” span. About three weeks ago there was a spawning event in our aquarium where they both got together. In the picture you can see the male releasing sperm did not see any eggs so I don’t think that anything will come of the spawning. We never clean the back glass on the aquarium so it is full of Coralline Algae which is plenty for them to eat. Amazing that with their current size they have never knock over any corals or rocks in the tank.

Here is the male releasing sperm.
sebefcc3c.jpg
alt="">

And here they are together.
sebefcbd2.jpg
alt="">

I think it's really interesting how the gametes come out of the little blue spots around the body. We've seen ours do that, too. I wonder if the female specimens expel eggs from the same place.

Now for the fish that are in the 200 gal aquarium:

First there is the staple of almost every aquarium a one Yellow Tang.

Five Blue Green Reef Chromis.
Five Blue Reef Damselfish.
Four Lyretail Anthias (3 female orange, and 1 male red)
One Velvet Wrasse.
One Fridmani Pseudochromis
Three Peppermint Shrimp.
Three Emerald Crabs.
Approx 25 Astrea Snails.
Four Turbo Snails.
Fifteen Hermit crabs.
Two Spinny Urchins

Here are some pictures:

Yellow Tank:
ebae94e6.jpg
alt="">
Male Anthias
ebae9460.jpg
alt="">
Overview:
ebae9409.jpg
alt="">
The Green Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, & Blue Reef Chromis:
ebae936a.jpg
alt="">
Spinny Urchin:
ebae9132.jpg
alt="">

Having a breakout of bubble algae that seems to be on the decline but don’t think the Emerald Crabs are doing much. All the water parameters test OK.

Very pretty pictures. I like the one with all the fish, but think it would look even better with a black background personally. Are you leaving it off on purpose? Waiting for that pink coralline to take over completely? :wink:

Tippie and I just returned from our 9 day Christmas vacation. I was really nerves about this trip since this will be the longest period that we were to be away from our tanks. There were times while on vacation when thoughts about what could go wrong entered my mind. We were going out of the country and decided not to call to check on things because there was nothing that we could do anyway.

I first must say that all the tank automation systems worked perfectly and there were no problems. I had a friend come in everyday to feed the fish and make sure that everything was working. Testfield (Tony) was on standby just in case. I even noticed a little grow on some of the corals after not seeing them for 10 days since we got back last night after the lights went off. I will say the ATO, and Ca Reactor really made things easy.

On our vacation we went on a 7 day cruise to Mexico out of LA. We went to LA the day before the ship departed and visited the Long Beach Aquarium and I must say it is one of the best (sorry no pictures). All that I can say about the cruise is “it was outstanding” but we both ate too much, we had to get home for some rest.

Now back to work preparing 40 gals of water for the first water change of the New Year, also need to clean out the skimmer, and clean the glass. Since we are not going out tonight this will be something to do New Years day.

This is the one year anniversary of our 200 gal tank this month so here are two new additions that I purchased from Extreme Corals today.

seb4022ee.jpg
alt="">
seb402297.jpg
alt="">

Your tank is looking great.

Since you posted your fish list have you been able to keep all the chromis. I was just wondering because I started with 5 and 2 made the leap of death. I've heard keeping that many doesn't work and then I see your pictures.