tank overrun by Majanos

My main tank has become overrun by Majanos. I've used and used Joe's juice and the Majano wand, but those buggers keep coming back with more and more each time. The Majano bases are in small holes in rock, so when I use the wand they just shrink up into the hole and I can't get at them. They also live on the underside of overhangs which means I can't use Joe's juice on them.

At this point its easier to say I have a Majano tank with other items in it. So I have come to the decision to take frags of the items I want to keep, and kill off the main tank. To do this I plan on covering the glass and shutting off the lights. I will keep the water flowing so that the protein skimmer can remove the organics as the stuff dies off. I had thought of draining the water and letting the stuff die, but that would stink up the house. And I would have to cycle the tank all over again. I'm hoping that with the lights off for two months, everything will die off and keep the tank cycled.

My question is will this work and is two months enough time to make sure the Majanos are dead?

p.s. My secondary tank is now isolated from the main tank and does not have any Majanos.

Thanks for the help with this problem.

Have you tried an Aiptasia eating Filefish? I've not had Majanos, so I don't know if it would eat them (perhaps if the filefish was hungry enough)

You could take out one or two pieces of rock, put them in bleach water for a day, then soak in RODI for a day then let dry for a couple days. I've done this in the past with a couple rocks that had aptasia before they got out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely try a file fish and maybe a copperband first, if you haven't already. Perhaps remove all your current fish, like you had planned and add these fish with very light feedings, if any at all. If they get hungry enough, they should start picking them off. Worth a shot before you have to do the whole tank break down....

I added 15 peppermint shrimp to my 350 g system and in a week or so 90% were gone. I no longer have any.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk