Sump idea

Kc189

Premium Member
[Would this idea work for a sump in a 60g? I was going to make the two box with Rubbermaids and put a pipe to cross the water to the next box. pic]

[Yes, it will work. The only thing I see that might be problematic is when you pump water back up to your tank, you might be sending some bubbles up as well. After all, you have water pouring in from your refugium, plus you skimmer is in the return area.

Also, your water level will constantly change due to evaporation and topping off, which may affect your skimmer's performance.]

[I add a drip plate on the In line and was thinking about puting in a divider so that the protien skimmer and return pump will be in different places.

Thank you very much Marc
New Sump idea]

[I agree with the last poster on RC. I just don't know if you'll have the room and the plumbing creativity to do it.

It's tough when your skimmer is in your sump, it eats up space.

I think you should reverse it if you still want this system.

Put the skimmer in the first section. Then partition off the second section, partly for the refugium and partly for the return.

Put a smaller bulkhead from the skimmer section to the refugium (3/4" for example) and larger one to the return section (1.5" for example). Your refugium can then overflow into the return area at a slower rate, and you still only need one pump to push the water back up.

Plus your copepods will not be skimmed out of your water, but rather get a ride up to the display tank.]

[The skimmer I want is pretty small is the AquaC UrhinSkimmer

So the space issue wont be much of a problem I dont think.
I really need some ideas.

Thank you all in advance]

@Kc189 wrote:
[The skimmer I want is pretty small is the AquaC Urhin] said:
[KC, Marc here is the resident acrylic guru. He can make anything out of acrylic. I think he's about to go into the "biz" on us here. You should see the sump he made posted in one of the other threads. I'm thinking about enlisting his help to make a giant fuge so that I can use my sump as a skimmer compartment. ;)

You know, unless you have other reasons for dong so, you really don't have to make this two seperate boxes, you can make it one box with a dividing sheet in between to keep the sand away from your skimemr & pump. Then drill a flow hole at the top of the divider. Or make it three compartments. Fuge, skimmer, & pump.

Second suggestion is, glue on a little strip or something to keep that urchin standing upright. It is a very tall, thin skimmer and it doesn't have the hang-on lip like the remora to keep it in place. It'll be like a pencil standing on end without some support.]

@Kevin Trotman wrote:
[KC said:
[Kevin,

I'm just about done with a sump right now that holds 52 gals to the top! That thing is huge. I'll take a few pictures, but until it is hooked up in the tank it is going to, it won't be that impressive. It will hold a refugium that is 24x12x12 that will be dropped into it, and have room for some frag grow-outs, and believe it or not, the skimmer and return pump are going to be running externally!

Just let me know when you want yours, and what you'd like. Another member from the club dropped me an email for a 100g sump today. WOW.]