Standpipe Quieting

Crotalus

Premium Member
I made a short video to show just how much noise is eliminated using this standpipe configuration.When I put the cap on, the pipe immediately starts to siphon and you can see the level in the overflow drop rapidly.https://youtu.be/zaHtX3pVsHY

It works great for me.? My tank is in the living room and the drain noise was driving me crazy.? I spent several days researching a solution and there are about 20 YouTube videos of this approach.?It's made a huge difference.? I've been using it about 2 months and I'm pleased with it.? I have a 4" computer fan pulling air out of the sump area.? It's the noisiest thing on the tank.?

I forget the name of system, but I have one drain about 2" high in box with a gate valve and the other is about 6" leaving only a 1" drop in box. It works so great I can't believe it. You adjust the gate valve to get water to just flow a little into the higher pipe. This makes the lower pipe siphon itself out and the higher level in box reduced the sound from the water drop from tank level. I was very skeptical at first.You need to have a constant flow rate or you will be tweeking valve all the time. And when it first starts or stops from turning your return off it gets real loud till siphon restarts but only takes a minute at most.

The full version with an emergency drain would be BeanAnimal, but a lot of people skip the emergency drain.  I do this on my tanks and have zero gurgle.  I really do need to add a guard on mine to keep large snails from crawling in, but it hasn't been a lot of an issue.  Having it inside a traditional overflow fixes a lot of this.