Skimmer Bubble Issues

TiberianSun

Premium Member
HI All - hope everyone is getting ready for Christmas. I have an MRC Orca Pro 2 skimmer which has been operating great over 8 years. A few weeks ago I started to notice that it wasn't generating any bubble even with the skimmer impeller pump running so I assumed thier was an issue with the impeller. Odd thing is I could turn off the skimmer pump then turn it back on and it would start working correctly.

Yesterday, i decided to change the pump and also changed the impeller. Started it back up and all was working great but this morning, I again noticed it was producing no bubbles. Turned the pump off then back on and now it's making bubbles.

Anyone have any thoughts?

the piping with the adjustment value and the air hole at the top are all clear. Also noticed that the water level in the cone is rather high. Only about 3" between the water level and the bubbles.

the piping with the adjustment value and the air hole at the top are all clear. Also noticed that the water level in the cone is rather high. Only about 3" between the water level and the bubbles.
Check the nipple where it goes into the intake of the pump itself. This can clog up with salt creep. The easiest way to clear it for me is to soak it in hot water, then find the exact right size drill bit and using my hand, twist the bit to carve out the hardened salt. Do not use a drill. Once it is clear, it should resume filling the body with bubbles.

From time to time, grab a mug of piping hot RO water, and put the venturi tube of the skimmer into the mug. It will suck all the hot water out of the mug into the skimmer, cleaning out that nipple so it can't build up.

Thanks again for the help. I forced hot water through the tube and then started hearing air sucking through it. After that, it started sucking it out of the cup. All looks good and thank you again for the help.