Sick One Spot Foxface - Need Help

ChristBearer2111

Premium Member
So the past couple of days my one spot foxface has been hiding out in the rocks and is browed out. I have had him about a year now and he has always been the center of the tank. I have seen him get his color back once over the last few days but not for very long and I have not seen him eat anything. Also my cleaner shrimp has been hanging around him a bit. It is hard to get a good look at him back in the rocks but as far as I can tell other than his coloration everything seems to be okay - no white spots, injuries, tail rot, etc. Water is good, all other live stock  seems to me normal (corals and fish alike). Tank is a 76 gal display and about 25 gal in the sump. I change out about 10 gal each week (as opposed to a large water change monthly). Filter socks are swamped out every 3 days.I am going to check my water again when I get home but 24 hours after the water change (after noticing my sick fish) everything was good, my salinity was a little low (30 verse 34) but I have corrected that and my Nitrates have always run high but since I have changed to a weekly water change schedule vs monthly I have kept it around 5-10ppm. Any thoughts on my sick fish? I am going to attempt to rig up a QT tank of some sort tonight and then see if I can get him out without stressing him out any more than he already is.

Have you made any other changes to the tank? lights, new additions, etc?Anyone visiting or pets that could be harassing him/her?

Eating? if not could be a liver issue, need to see if you can get it to eat nori dipped in garlic.

No other additions to the tanki have not seen him eat anything - as far as I could tell from behind the rock.- what do you recommend for the garlic dip?

So, my wife called before I got home and said the Foxface was floating. She got him out and he was gone. She banged him and put him in the fridge. I looked him over when I got home - no spots, no damage, no paricites or anything. Did a full water test and all levels were spot on. All I can figure is something internal - liver issue or something.everything else seems to be happy but I will keep a close eye on everyone for the next several days.

I'm very sorry to read about this.  Those are beautiful fish.  I know how frustrating it is to lose one and never know why.