Sexy shrimp spawning.

McReefer

Membership Expired
Any one want some fry? I don't have the time right now. Does any one have pods for sale around dallas?

Let me know if you are headed up this way. I can meet you at DNA.
They are the only place that always has live pods in stock for sure. I will trade you a bottle for the fry.

--Howard

I've read of people having a 10-20% live rate with brine. Also from what I've read they come out ready to eat live food by latching onto it so no green water. I'm sure any pod would be better then brine. I picked up tiger pods and brine eggs today. I have about 5 live fry in a small jug with a heater and air stone. I put some of the pods in there. Tomorrow I'm setting my pico tank up to transfer the 5 fry into and have it ready for the next spawn. I also picked up a net to catch the spawn with. I'll be watching this daily now so next time I hope to catch the momma early and move her over to the new tank before she lays. I know this might delay the next spawning but I have 10 sexies of which its about a 50/50 male to female ratio in my tank. There in a 14G BC with a mandarine so there VERY happy. Also I spot feed every week which really perks there activity. I'm reading more on it tonight to see at what rate others have seen spawnings take place.

Howard I would be more then happy to give you some fry if things line up with spawnings and my trips to dallas which have been very rare as of late. I can order pods but I'm no longer growing phyto so I would take that over having you spend money. This has really re-ignited my passion. I got to burned out making this new LED light and just stopped all projects and extra care. I spent 4 days working on the breadboard for that light and just got tired of having no down time. Things are starting to slow down with work so I hope to follow through on the light, these sexies and prior commitments to forum members that I have not followed through on.

The x-men paly project is dead in the water though. I lost half the polyps to starfish from hell. I am however EXTREAMLY happy they went after the x-men and nothing else.

Back to the sexies though. The full grown ones need a very calm tank. no aggro from other fish. They also need something to host. They like rose tips the most I think but have seen them host larger rics and xenia. The fry need very VERY low flow. Aside from that it doesn't look to hard to grow them out.

No worries. Let me know when you do make the trip. I'm going to split all of the indoor backups tomorrow and will put that in the fridge. The outdoor stuff isnt' settling well once I have it in the fridge. Not sure why. I hope this cold snap doesn't crash it.

@McReefer wrote:

huh.... I had some like that. If you put it in a larger bottle and top it off little by little with fresh water it should settle. Salt and phyto are more dense then fresh water so the more you lower the salinity level the more condensed it will become.

Also just looked in my tank and found about 20 more of the little guys floating around alive. I don't think I would have another spawning that fast unless I had 2 females spawning. These are also slightly larger then the other pictures I've seen. I'm wondering if I have an old spawn thats still alive maturing in my tank... I will say I have a good 1/4 of the tank filled with a chunky live rock base. Maybe they come out at night to feed? I know a good amount has been sucked into the back as well. I caught about 12 more in a brine net and left it floating in the top of the tank for the night. Poured a little tiger pods in there as well. Fingers crossed.

Tried for pics but failed. I will say the square tank is no good. They either sink or float. I'm going to try and make a mini kreisel tonight. I hope by the next spawn that I will have all I need. My wife my kill me soon since I will soon have 4 tanks up and running.

Had another spawn last night. I had just finished my 1st attempt at a Kreisel Tank but my screen was loose at one corner and now all the spawn are loose with the LR.

Heres the tank system. I have a few more things to do to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpE3cP2W7kQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So I had the spawn on sunday night and got them into the new system. About 20-30 I would say. I started a batch of brine the same night. The brine didn't hatch for some reason. Maybe they got to cold or something but the sexies are still alive. I added 50% tank water so I figure I got a few pods in there. I also added a little live phyto every day. I placed an order for pods tonight and started a new batch of brine with a heater this time lol. But I am amazed that i only see a few dead ones. There all really active to. I'm still prepaired to see this batch die as I don't have food really. But atleast I now know my setup will work.

39 gallons of dark green water, 2nd batch of rotifers being delivered tomorrow. :p
If you drop some off, I'll trade 1/2 back of any survivors once they wean to non live food.

LOL I already said I'd tried you for phyto and rots. That way we can both work on this. I'll be in dallas this weekend I think. And I'm expecting another spawn this week so it shouldn't be a problem. You want me to look at wal-mart here and pick you up some of the tanks I'm using? We could try and come up with a better way to use them.

I'll see if I can find some locally before you head up. Right now, that fry is just tasty appetizers to just about all of my tanks unless they have protection. :p

I have a GREAT Idea for you and this tank I'm using. You have a bigger system don't you? How big is your pred tank? Hows the pod pop in it?

I read what you guys are discussing and it sounds so interesting! I just don't know what fry and all this means? What do u guys do with the fry and the copepod? I'm a newbie