Saltwater Setup - Spring 2021 or sooner

Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors
Outside Washington DC in May 2019, I helped my mom with basement clean out and brought home my amazing coral collection. Most of these were purchased during my parents honeymoon and subsequent trips to Florida. When I grew up and got into the hobby, talked my parents into giving me these gorgeous display corals. I added to them but then life changed, and got out of hobby. A lot has changed in my life and even more so in fish husbandry. We stored corals (again), bought books, went to DFWMAS event (preCOVID) and surfed Internet for knowledge. Our dilapidated bonus room was reclaimed. General DIY remodeling has been underway, building out from new studs, soffit & roof venting, insulating walls/ceiling to new casing, crown moldings, and even pillars.  Dedicated dual outlet put in for future fish tank so it has its own breaker/circuit.
October 2020 finds us months behind schedule, and still working on room trim. Currently not a scale or fin or frag in sight. Our only 'wildlife' is travertine and marble tile turtle mosaic we hand crafted for center of room. Turtle will be swimming away from future fish tank, heading outdoors. Nice people we met at 2019 DFWMAS frag event recommended Franks Tanks and finally dropped by last weekend. Knowledgeable staff answered questions about tanks, took my number, and Frank himself called me back! 
Planning ~100-150 gallon reef tank, maybe using my wet/dry filter (or ... maybe that will go into tank #2... shhh... don't tell my other half! I have to get tank #1 first, but he knows I've had 5 salt tanks going at once). Wondering if I can use an extra overflow box hole for pump (& lighting?) cords. Seems under gravel filtration used by dodos... extinct. Jawfish love thick substrate, wondering if I can get by without under gravel filtration. Welcome thoughts for overflow box holes as well as thick gravel without under gravel filtration. Also have 40+ pounds crushed coral I never got around to using on prior tanks but know my future jawfish will love to play and live within crushed coral.

Found someone leaving hobby so suddenly our plans moving rocket fast - from 0 to 180 gallons relocating entire reef (corals, anemones, fish, lights, sump, tank & more) setup this week. DFWMAS partner Glass Aquatics had helpful suggestions during quote process and handling relocation for us. They also have maintenance classes so I'm attending one to brush up on my skills.
View attachment 11624
Since our future tank coming with a lot, still not sure any/which/how much of my corals will be initially used. Definitely keeps 2nd tank thoughts open within next 2 years. 

The 180 gallon tank relocation went well using Glass Aquatics. Their specialized equipment was interesting, but my favorite portion was hanging at picnic table while they provided all breakdown and relocation work! Easiest move of my life, yet was likely heaviest items and most fragile lifetime move! Money well spent - felt like rich person, living the life. 
View attachment 11743
Came with Melev 3 stage sump, skimmer, 15 gallon ATO sump, 3 hydra 52 LED lights, 2 VorTech MP40s we've put in gentle master/slave lagoon mode (1 needed replacement wet side to work). Have some cabinet hinge work to do on stand and canopy. Added some coral frags from DFWMAS partner Ocean Avenue, and 8 clowns, yellow tang & cleaner shrimp from DFWMAS partner Frank's Tanks. 11 anemones may have eaten 1 of new little clowns. 
Two water changes under our belt, and this established tank is doing very well. Beat my "spring 2021" goal by a lot. For all you other saltwater dreamers, I believe there are fish/corals/tanks just waiting to make your home their home, too! Expect this to be my last post here. Good luck to you all.