Salt Mollys

I wanted a good weekend project so I picked up 18 black mollys at the local PetCo last night.
uonNy.jpg
alt="">

Have them setup with light, heater, and airstone. I'm doing a slow drip acclimatization to full salt water at 1.025 salinity over 3 days.
Lost one overnight. May have been due more to the collection and transport.
Hopefully everyone will make it and start making more mollys. I'd like to have a nice live batch of food every 3 months.

I will post back when they are all in the 30 gallon macro tank.

From what i have read they can make the transition much faster then that like 4-5 hours....but slow shouldn't hurt as long as you can keep the water parameters good for 3 days. Cool luck.

Yup I transfer mine like regular salt water fish aclimation and no problems. The salt makes them make babies

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

The pregnant female that I got at True Percula and drip acclimated for 6 hours gave birth to a number of babies within 2 hours of being placed in the tank. Unfortunately she did not make it, but a number of her babies made their way to a safe place in the sump.

David

Grats on your fry! Too bad about momma though.

I did my drip over 3 days with breaks for them while I slept at night. All of them ate today.
No obviously pregnant females yet. May be a few weeks before they start.
I did beef up the filtration a bit and get some LR on it wiyh fish there now.

@shse666 wrote:
Grats on your fry! Too bad about momma though. I did my drip over 3 days with breaks for them while I slept at night. All of them ate today. No obviously pregnant females yet. May be a few weeks before they start. I did beef up the filtration a bit and get some LR on it wiyh fish there now. said:
Upon reflection, I think that I probably should not have gotten such a pregnant female. The stress of giving birth while also being transitioned to salt water was likely too much at one time.

David

Lost one of the critters about 3 days ago. No apparent reason.
No obvious prego mommies as of yet. They do eat like pigs. Ended up around 1.021 on the NaCL. We are slowing raising it to a goal of 1.025 eventually.

AWeK5.jpg
alt="">
Tank divider up. Breeder kit (floating at the moment) installed.
Going to move the sponge filter over.

First big round belly mommie moved over away from the males. I see at least 2 more females who look preggers.
Keeping our fingers crossed.

All still alive. I did find one baby, I think the entire clutch was consumed because I used this tank to host the critters I brought back from North Padre. That tank divider did not fit well and I caught animals moving from one side to the other.

I have not spotted any disease such as ich or what have you from the wild fish. I expect all of them to be moved soon to other habitats and restore this one to strictly molly breeding.
There is quite a bit more live rock in the tank now so I hope they have better hiding spots. Really aggressive males are being fed to my red scorpion to cut their population down vs the females. :p