Sailfin Tang with Holes

trinichap

Premium Member
Hi, I added a Sailfin Tang to my 200g tank. Existing stock is a small chromis, 2 clownfish, 1 blue eyed tang, 2 mono fish.  Today I noticed the Sailfin has developed some holes on his fin.  Is this a disease or is it from another fish?  Anything I can do to help him?  
View attachment 15573

Could you provide another update? Esp if gotten worse overnight?
From your photos, holes SEEM more like punctures/tears so based on above I'm leaning towards other fish aggression though usually my experiences with tang on tang aggression leaves more slices and cuts instead of holes/punctures. Extra vegetables/nori and protein help speed healing when caused by aggression - if you feed flakes or pellets then treat with some thawed frozen from LFS (suggest LRS Reef Frenzy, but lots of good choices).
Our March monthly meeting club speaker on fish diseases and treatments:

Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I added a Sailfin Tang to my 200g tank. Existing stock is a small chromis, 2 clownfish, 1 blue eyed tang, 2 mono fish. Today I noticed the Sailfin has developed some holes on his fin. Is this a disease or is it from another fish? Anything I can do to help him?
View attachment 15573
Can you please repost the attachment?

Hi, the problem went away. I just kept feeding him and keeping an eye. Within 1-2 weeks the holes are gone. Looks like he might have been poked at by another fish or maybe was scraping against the rocks. Not sure, either way looks like he is settled in and doing good now.