Roller Mat Filters

IowaKGB

Premium Member
Does anyone have experience using Roller Mats in your sump instead of filter socks? They look easy to install and maintain. I see the advantages pushed to us thru marketing. What are the disadvantages (outside of buying new media rolls)? Does the old media stink as it rolls up with the rotting waste on it? Things like that.

Thanks!

I would assume it would give off an oder too. But that being said not changing filter socks and only having to change the roll once every 3 months (depending on brand) ill buy a glade plug in 🤣 .

Unfortunately I've not found one that will work with my setup. I just don't have the room. 😥

Same. My under the tank space is too crammed as is. Always planning out that next tank build in my head. 🤣

There is no odor, surprisingly. I think because it dries out in the air.

That makes sense. It was good talking to you yesterday at the Potluck and getting more information on this subject as well. Thank you!

Does anyone have experience using Roller Mats in your sump instead of filter socks? They look easy to install and maintain. I see the advantages pushed to us thru marketing. What are the disadvantages (outside of buying new media rolls)? Does the old media stink as it rolls up with the rotting waste on it? Things like that.

Thanks!
I have one I am about to install on my Reefer 250 and they are great. In fact, with a decent load on the tank, they outperform socks. I have waited however, as one can clean and reuse sock filters a few times, which may be less than the cost of a new roll on the ReefMat 500.

I believe several on the R2R forums have been able to get about 2 months from a roll. At 6 months into mine, I change my socks about three times a month and have only purchased three socks, with the first month or so as a break in of the tank and rock work.

Thanks for the reply! I see a lot of benefits from using them. Like you mentioned the downside is the cost of replacement fleece. I don’t think I’m going to incorporate one on my current tank. But when I do my next tank build I’ll probably invest in one. I like my big fish that make a mess. Haha

The Klir has the highest listed flow. Unfortunately the filter sock holes in my Trigger Sump are oval, not round, so it and the sock plugs wouldn't fit.
I made a mounting plate. The unit works very well. Three months betwen roll changes is about right. The only downside it sometimes some crud will collect on the sensor and waste some material. After advancing for a few seconds the controller will start beeping at you. Here is the filter mount I made. The original one just lifts out.

Attachments

• 20191207_121836.jpg
    20191207_121836.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1
  • sump2.jpg
    sump2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1
I am using the Red Sea ReefMat 500 version and like it so far even though my auto advance isn't working properly. I am getting a high water alert so I assume the roll auto advance sensor is registering the water level. I haven't dug into it to see what the issue is as it's not that big of a deal to me at this time.

The ReefMat wasn't plug and play on my sump and we had to modify the sump where the filter socks were suppose to go. In my haste I actually cracked / broke a baffle that sections off my media baskets. I have a band aid fix on it for now and it seems to be working.

I am using roughly 27" of fleece a day so I'm thinking a roll will last roughly a month to month and a half. My tank is very new and hopefully once it matures the amount of fleece used will go down accordingly.

My Klir was advancing the roll too early. I fixed that by turning the unit so the sensor was on the downstream side and I put a chunk of very coarse foam between the filter and the return to smooth out the waves.