Returning to Hobby

Wickedirish

Premium Member
  Hi all, just coming back into the hobby, have just purchased a 40 breeder and plan to do a marine invert tank, not really looking to do a reef this time but looking for advice on lighting with some pop to it maybe, just don't want all the problems associated with massive lighting. Also read some about low light coral up towards the top of the tank but just not sure how that will work out, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Other than cost I'm not sure I've ever had any problems with bunches of light.  I don't run halides, so no real heat issue here.  I would expect that the usual mix of strong blue would make things stand out.  I'm not really sure what the question is though, my take on it was "I want generic fish tank lighting".I don't have experience with it, and I don't know your skill level, but there are a lot of cool looking NPS systems out there that only require enough lighting for you to see them.

On a 40 I wouldn't use a Metal Halide. If you are wanting to propagate "low light corals" please be more specific like Zoanthids or are you speaking of deep water corals?Thinking you probably want LEDs. I am no expert on aquarium LEDs but, if your corals are deeper than 12" you likely need high output. I always recommend adding your location. Never know who is down the street from you!

Welcome back! Start a build thread so we can see what your working with and see the progress so we can help along the way.

I will definitely be doing a build thread, as far as lights I think I'm going for Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Marine-Aquarium-60-Inch/dp/B00GFTQDQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509653660&sr=8-1&keywords=orbit%2Bmarine%2Bled&dpID=418hTJlAfbL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1 im really only planning to do Zoanthids, green star polyps, pom pom xenia and maybe some mushrooms with a small assortment of fish, I've been doing some reading on skimmerless systems so planning on running just a canister filter with charcoal and GFO. anyways, that's where im at in the planning stage so far, any input is greatly appreciated......I'm in Grapeland, TX, couple hours south of Dallas so don't think anyones down the street from me lol

Recommend the skimmer over the canister - cheaper in the long run. I have the Orbit High Output lights very happy with them. With a 40 nano you don't need to skim or filter you can just do water changes every week or every other. I have green star polyp you can have but, I live in North Richand Hills. - not sure where you are at.

Thx for the offer on the polyps, I wont be doing any real livestock until probably the first week of April or so, its gonna be a fairly slow build but I plan on coming up to Dallas for my first fish and hopefully a nice piece of seed rock at that time, the only reason im going with the canister filter is to run charcoal and GFO, also read something about poly filter pads being great to use, so really its just going to be a ghetto reactor more than anything unless anyone has some info on a reactor that doesn't require a sump.

I'd recommend a fuge with chaeto over either, but that's my preference.  Obviously easiest is to set up a small tank as a sump, but a clear reactor would work as well if you have one handy.  I've seen a couple fuge in HOB filter setups as well.