Return pumps

I have been looking into replacing my pumps. Right now I"m using a Danner Mag return but looking to switch to DC for efficiency and better control). I have gotten a few ideas and looked into them but now I'm lost because they all have claims but I have no input from the ones who have actually used them. Hopefully you guys can give me insight, maybe even other suggestions.

-Waveline DC-10000 Gen II Pump
-Reef Octopus Diablo DC 10500
-Sicce (still wondering on this one...mixed reviews that their claims aren't reality which would negate them because they are a little higher priced and their efficiency is lacking)
-Red Dragon (I just threw this one up because it was a suggestion. Wow they are expensive compared to the others but OMFG Titanium? Would love one!!!)
-Jebao (not looking at this one but it was recommended....personally I "try" to stay away from chinese companies. I don't agree with their patent infringement)

I was leaning more towards the Diablo because of their efficiency and the brand name has always been associated with quality. I would really like to hear everybody's input to this!!! I have heard of a wavemaking setup using a DC return pump too that would be a cool addition to the tank.

I know Jebao is not at the top of your list at all, but from my personal experience this thing is great. I mean it's cheap and works perfect. I have the DC1200 from them for my return. For me personally, I couldn't justify paying a lot more for something to work the same. And if this thing does ever break, for the price, I can buy another and still be cheaper than some of the other returns. The overall consensus was positive as well. Just the way I looked at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@DetroitRodeo wrote:
I know Jebao is not at the top of your list at all said:
How long have you had it and what kind of maintenance schedule do you keep? No noticeable degrading of flow? I do appreciate all the information on this one, even though it's not at the "top" of my list, it's still something to consider!

@MJMK wrote:
[I]@DetroitRodeo wrote:[/I][quote="I know Jebao is not at the top of your list at all said:
How long have you had it and what kind of maintenance schedule do you keep? No noticeable degrading of flow? I do appreciate all the information on this one, even though it's not at the "top" of my list, it's still something to consider!"]

I use the jebao dc12000 first one ran about 15 months then the motor seized up when I was taking it out to clean it. I never cleaned it before so kinda my own fault. The new one is on running fine for the last 6 months. I should pull it out and clean it soon. But I keep one on backup at all times no matter what pump I use. It never see a degrading flow rate. I used to run a mag 18 as just a return and it did ok. Now with the dc12000 I run it at full power 24 hours a day with 2 reactors plumbed into it, and still have more flow then the mag pump. I bought mine off amazon with prime and was about same as fish street price but faster shipping.
Hope this helps you with a decision.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Definitely does Eckolancer. I have heard numerous good comments about Jebao so far. The comments make me think about it. Ultimately I want a good product. I would LOVE to get a Red Dragon because I know how titanium survives in harsh environments but its hard to spend $600+ on a pump when others have had great success with less expensive pumps...such as the Jebao pumps.

I have A Waveline DC-10000 Gen II on my 300 gal planted tank. While the pump and controller never stopped working, I went through a couple cooling fans on the back of the controller. The good news is that Salty Supply had a new controller (30 second swap, two plugs) in the mail for me USPS Priority the next business day both times and extended my warranty. The latest controller is big/finned enough to not need a cooling fan, so I don't see that being a recurring issue at this point. I would buy it again, although might go with the next size up given the size of my tank.

I have two wave lines and hate them. The 4000 did not have anywhere near the advertised flow and the 10000 locked up on me after 6 months. Switched the 4000 out for an eheim and the 10000 for a quiet one until I find something better. I'm still looking.

Wes, did you try to warranty the 10000? What was the result?

I should add that I've been told going with a DC pump instead of something known to be fairly reliable like a Red Dragon or a Danner is a bit like gambling. I concluded that for the electrical savings over the Danner and cost savings over the Red Dragon made it worth the risk. Mine is a freshwater tank with an MP60, so nothing bad is going to happen if I lose my pump for 48 hours.

Hey MJMK, I've had it going for about 7-8 months now. I haven't touched it since the day it went in. Flow is good for my 120, I'm only using it on the second highest setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it was out of warranty. I did a complete redo of my sump and ordered all the stuff before using it which took me about 6 months to do. Ordered the 4000 for my skimmer/reactor pump and the 10000 for my return. Best laid plans for a clean well organized sump with two interchangeable pumps failed.