Reef tanks in Wichita Falls

Billthefishman

Membership Expired
I am looking for others in Wichita Falls that have reef tanks.
I have SPS, LPS, Zoanthids, and several softies. Anybody out there?

I have smaller tanks. A 37 gallon with
orange montipora setosa
Chocolate Pavona
Sour Apple birdsnest
Pink birdsnest
Green nest
Yellow Polyp Turbinaria
Rusty Pink Millepora
Frog spawn
Hammer
Blue mushrooms
green leather tree
Xenia
Blue Zenia
Cephastrea Meteor shower
Blue hornet Zoanthid
Scramble egg Zoanthid
Red eye Zoanthid
tridacna clam blue
one gold sps unknown
I also have three tanks in the garage with frags and two tubs of live rock and macro algae.
I am old school and do water changes without a lot of equipment. Plus money is always an issue.

That sounds good.
I am going to try using a ATF in place of skimming, once I get the materials to build it.
I will have to get more dead rock, live rock and substrate for my new 65 Gallon.
The amount I had in my 37 gallon won't be close to enough.

I have Chaetomorpha Macroalgae and Caulerpa. The Chaetomorpha Macroalgae is about the size of a basket ball. If you want some let me know when you are in town. I work at the wastewater plant. I could take it to work and you could come by and pick it up. It will so fine bagged. Also have xenia. That is the next filter I am gong to try on my frag tank. Speakingof I need to go work on that tank. Let me know or if anybody else wants some.

I was thinking of trying some Chaetomorpha.
Right now my sump is so small that is only has 2 compartments.
I would have to add on for the chaeto. Not much of a problem I can cut down the baffle that I had to remove to get the pump in.
From what I hear the turf algae that grows on a ATF grows faster and reduces nitrates faster. Just scrape it off once in a while to remove it.
Have you looked at the chuck's addiction website. It has a lot of information.
It couldn't hurt to try the chaeto until I get the materials for the ATF, Monetary constraints.
It will be a while before I am ready to add chaeto or ATF either.

Chaetomorpha Macroalgae does not need a lot of room or light. So it would work well for now. Also since it does not attach it is easy to remove and seldom gets into the main tank. If it is easy to remove because it does not attach.
I soon will be throwing some away so if you want to give it a try let me know.
Been out cleaning a clogged protein skimmer. Fun. Where else can you say that.
Good night.

Don't know when I will next be in WF. I will check and let you know.
I am trying to get away from running a skimmer.
Thus the ATF.
Take it easy.

@Billthefishman wrote:
I have smaller tanks. A 37 gallon with orange montipora setosa Chocolate Pavona Sour Apple birdsnest Pink birdsnest Green nest Yellow Polyp Turbinaria Rusty Pink Millepora Frog spawn Hammer Blue mushrooms green leather tree Xenia Blue Zenia Cephastrea Meteor shower Blue hornet Zoanthid Scramble egg Zoanthid Red eye Zoanthid tridacna clam blue one gold sps unknown I also have three tanks in the garage with frags and two tubs of live rock and macro algae. I am old school and do water changes without a lot of equipment. Plus money is always an issue. said:
Sounds like you have a really nice mixed reef setup. Hope to see it sometime. I am completely redoing my tank at the moment and rounding up some nice frags.

I am hoping to sell my frags all at the same time to a LFS (DFW) But if you are interested in only one or two of the three varieties of birdnest maybe we can swap. I have large leathers you can have.
what is you set up?

Bill,
I have a 270g built in with a fish room. I have a nice group of fish and am mostly going back with Zoa's and Paly's. I have a few SPS but I won't be adding to them for a while.

Wow. Sounds interesting. Would love to be able to include the larger fish. Nano here. I do have a Naoko wrasse I am very happy with. Great fish.

@Billthefishman wrote:
Wow. Sounds interesting. Would love to be able to include the larger fish. Nano here. I do have a Naoko wrasse I am very happy with. Great fish. said:
Bill do you have the room for a bigger tank?

I've got a 125 gallon Oceanic tank if you were looking to go bigger.
I have no room to set it up.
Not going to let it go really cheap to just anyone though.

I understand. The Oceanics are made well. Good seams and trim is not just tacked on.
I will keep it in mind. But no room this year in my inn for it. Thanks though.

Been thinking, I guess I should just get rid of it.
It is not doing thing but sitting there, I have no room to set it up and the cost of lights, rock, substrate and equipment is more than I can really afford.
Maybe I can find some one to trade some stuff for it.
It really should be used.

It can add up. I usually estimate that a reef tank will cost $35 to $50 per gallon to set up. To save money on light the Finnex LED lights on Amazon really do work. For a live rock fish tank it would not be so bad a cost. Thought about donating it to a school. Might be a tax right off. Or even Goodwill. Then you can get a receipt for the true value and not just the price you would get here in Wichita Falls. I really do wish I had room. I will keep an eye out.
Is there a way to plumb it to the 270 in order to increase volume and therefor water stability?
Do you have any pictures? Maybe somebody in the DFW area would drive up here for it?
Just trying to help good luck.

hoopsdaddy has the 270. It could be done but I doubt if he has room in his fish room for it.
One person I know of has several tanks with different ecosystems set up in them, reef, macro algae, and sea grass environments.
It is closer to a reef area environment than you can get in one tank.
I will have to clean it, fill it to check the seams, and take pictures.
I don't think the local school would use it. If it was a football or volleyball yes, but not an aquarium.