Raising Arctipods or triggerpods

so i bought some arctipods from the LFS, so i can feed them to my manderin. i was wondering if there is any technique to raising these little guys, that anyone knows of. im planing on starting a small closet culture of phyto, so i figure maybe i can raise some pods also. not sure witch would be possible. any advice or comment at all will be very helpful. :D

thanks bryce

I have alot of them... I have a pod tank or atleasat I call it one..

it is a large 30 gal refugiun / sump under a 40 with a mated pair of true percs and 2 nems... and a colt coral

nothign else..

I feed DT, and phyto

lots of micro algae even some tang heaven mixed in

But they do very well in there..

Now if you have a mandren that feed off them the key is to isolate them in a seperate tank like a sump or refugium and they should thrive but you should also seed them with new members every now and again to keep there varity thriving.

The Arcti-pods we buy in the store are not live. The reason they are called Arcti-pods is because they come from the Arctic Ocean. The water temperature in the Arctic is usually just below 32*F. It would be a challenge both to get live ones, and to raise them in a tank.

ok well im starting my pyhto colonie soon, so i think i want to start some live feeders as well. im thinking trigger pods would be kinda hard to raise and feed.

The maturity cycle for those type of pods is 30 days from hatching to breeding. You can do it but it takes a bit longer to establish a population than, say, brine shrimp.

i have a spare 10 gallon setup, can i start raising triggers in there? i kno its realy small but think it would be ok for these tiny little critters.

Sure. Put in some live rock, cheato, and some kind of flow device. Give it a little food and dump in a bottle of pods. Maintain it like you would any other reef - cleaning, changing water and watching params. You'll have a good pod population soon.

@DheereCrossing wrote:
Sure. Put in some live rock said:
Here is the recommended routine looks like from this link. http://www.reed-mariculture.com/copepod/tigriopus.asp

How to care for your Tigriopus: Grows best in conditions where temperatures are between 25-30 ?C said:

I think i read somewhere that tiggerpods were a cold water species and dont reproduce to well in our warmer aquariums. Something about the nauplii all ending up male because of the warmer temp. Any one else hear this before?

the owner of reed mericulture has presented info on this subject and says it can be done. you dont need anything special and the tank should be very basic and simple, no rock, no sand, just water, tank, maybe some macro, and feed it daily. i used a small tupperware bowl. keep the water temp around our normal tank temp of 77-80. slow bubble agitation is enough to keep them alive with regular feeding as long as you maintain parameters. i know tim has been doing it and i gave it a try with some growth in population after the first month but it crashed because i let the salinity drop rapidly.