Protein skimmers

[Hi Mark
I am sure I will jumped on for this but here is my 2 cents
1 They remove organic waste from the water
2 if you plan to keep more than just fish you need one
3 Well good ones are expensive. And it depends on the size of your tank and whether you have a hang on the back (HOB) or will place it in the sump....a whole nother artical
Joe]

[They form chambers of fine bubbles that extract bad particles out of the water, that are collected in a collection cup that is emptied every day or so. IMO a good skimmer is essential for having a great reef tank. Live rock and skimmer are the 2 main forms of filtration in most tanks, so it's a good investment.]

[For someone new to the hobby I consider them manditory equipment! I do so for the reasons mentioned in the above replys. Even for experienced reefers, they are highly recommended. You can run a tank without one but its very difficult to do and not have issues in a reef tank.

Good ones are on the expensive side of things initially. I suggest that you spend the extra dough and get a quality one from the start. If you dont...you will waste lots of money before you see the light and get a quality one anyways. So do it right the first time.

On smaller tanks I started with a Seaclone which is not the best. Its cheap but requires constant adjustment to work optimumlly. RedSea Prizm...is even worse in my experience. RedSea Berlins work but leave a lot to be desired in my opinon. The pumps that come with them are JUNK!

Do some research before you buy, check out some product reviews too!]

[Dave, a protein skimmer will not skim on a freshwater tank, just FYI.

On a 30g tank I would think a prism would be fine (though not great) and the AquaC Remora would be the best you can do for your fishies. You are keeping some soon to be very large fish in there who do make a lot of waste and a skimmer is necessary IMO.]

[HI Mark
In a word, NO. Do a search on reef central and I doubt you will find any one that like them. How big is you tank?
Joe]

[You don't absolutly need one for a fish only tank. My friend has a 55 with 2 Hang On filters, and the only fish lost he has ever suffered was from fish eating one another. His water stays in resonable perameters, and his fish look really healthy. With a fish only tank, if you decide not to add a protien skimmer, just let your tank cycle for a long time IMO. And add fish slowly, don't buy 2 or 3 fish at a time. I myself use a protien skimmer, not a very good one (seaclone), but i also have a large refugium area to help that out. The skimmer is just going to make things easier on you.]