Possible parasite on firefish

Well, now I am. I hadn't thought of that. Crap!  Let me look into the things you mentioned.  I presume these need to be dosed in a tank with no sand, no rocks, and no inverts.  I  just finished breaking down and cleaning my QT.  I wonder if Seachem ParaGuard would work. I think it contains some of these chemicals, and I already have some on hand. Thanks for the advice! 

No problem, Trichlorfon is pretty nasty (organophosphate) so definitely research before going to that. Hope you find a solution, it doesn't seem much info is readily available. Let us know how it goes. 

I wanted to report that the firefish died a few days after my last post here. I did not get a chance to try any of the other treatments listed here, but I wanted to thank everyone anyway.  

Ah man sorry to hear that, sometimes we can only do what we can. At least you tried, thanks for the update. 

Definitely a bummer. On the plus side, the yellow eye kole tang I got at the same time appears to be doing great.  We named him Buzz.  He's become my favorite fish.  It's the first time I've had a fish that makes me laugh. I do have one more question for everyone.  The little tank I set up for the firefish is still running.  It houses a couple of hermits and some snails.  Since it's been running fishless (fallow?) for  several weeks now, do you think it would be safe to transfer the hermits and snails to the display tank? 

Awesome that is good news! I have wanted to get one of those but gonna wait for a bigger tank.I am not sure, how long is several like 2,3,4 weeks? Not sure if they can host any parasites or not, wold have to research that one. I almost wouldn't chance it though and go 6 weeks, wouldn't have to do anything to that tank until then though probably. :)

Thanks, Chris.  The tank's been fishless for about 4 weeks.  I'm in no hurry, so I can let it sit a while longer. Supposedly that particular parasite only infected firefish, and I probably won't chance another one of those, but I'll still wait. Eventually I do want to use that tank for something else.I was hesitant at first to get the tang because my DT is 65 gallons, but I read and was assured that kole tangs grow slowly.  He's still pretty small (1.5 to 2 inches maybe), but I may use him as an excuse to get a bigger tank someday :)