Plumbing overflow drains

mginster

Premium Member
I am setting my 120 up again and want to rethink my drains. I had to move my sump a little so one side is all rigid tubing and I believe this is causing the bulkhead to not align perfectly. I believe I should try flexible tubing for this side.

Given the entire rigid connection, I feel this will never align perfectly and will also not absorb any vibrations and the extra stress can possibly damage the glass.

In my lovely 2nd photo, I diagrammed what I think needs to be done. I want a union for easy maintenance and a valve to adjust overflow levels. Past the valve I dont know what to use. What flexible tubing will connect to 1" PVC with no loss in diameter? What is the connection to also avoid any loss in diameter? I have heard of some using a silicon connection between the bulkhead and PVC to reduce vibration, what is this?

You can see the other overflow does use the slightly flexible PVC, but this still adds stress due to the length and weight. It also is not flexible enough for the short run I need to make below the valve to sump.

Or is what I have good? I do have some leaks between the bulkhead, but will be getting silicon to put between the gasket and bulkhead.

Attachments

• IMG-4703.jpg
    IMG-4703.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-4704.jpg
    IMG-4704.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 8