New to salt? Start here!

HM3105

Membership Expired
Hello and welcome!Are you new to salt water tanks? Looking for information on what to do, what to buy or where to start? Well that's what we're here for. Please feel free to use this forum to ask any questions you may have. Here are a few resources to get you started!Melev's Reef - Start a new tank!Bulk Reef Supply - Follow along as they set up a new tank from beginning to endMarine Depot - How to set up a reef aquarium Youtube PlaylistAlways remember to ask lots of questions, learn from the experience of others and have fun.

Hi,  I'm new to salt and even newer to forums.I have never really had any hobbies until now, and I'm totally addicted.  I want to learn as much as possible. But anyway,  I jumped right in buying a Red Sea Reefer 250 fully equipped with live rock, some fish and a few corals from a LFS.  So, cut to the chase...There were issues with the delivery of the tank and livestock that caused them to have to take everything back to the store (to fix a leak in the plumbing) then bring it all back again a few days later.  Needless to say, most of the fish didn't make it through all of this.My issue now is that my nitrates are sky high,  like over 100p.My question is, would it be good or bad to do a 100% water change, or is that too much for the remaining fish and corals to handle?  My current plan is to do 20% every other day three times. I realize that there is much more to do and I'm doing my best to tune the skimmer, put new filter bags,  activated carbon, purigen, ect.But i feel like this is kind of an emergency,  and it's a little stressful, especially being a beginner out of the starting gate.   

Definitely do at least a 50% water change and then 20% every other day to get them down. Start a build thread so we can check it out and you can keep us updated on the status so we can help you through. Hope everything else pulls through ok!