New to Mixed Reef Tanks but not Saltwater...

KarenLR75

Membership Expired
Met husband (then boyfriend) and he had multiple freshwater tanks.  He finally setup a saltwater tank which we had for almost 5 years.  We definitely were ignorant and LUCKY to have the tank last as long as it did as we made many critical mistakes. Finally crashed from overload with all fish dying in less than 24 hrs.  We were young with a new baby and it never occurred to us to reach out to a store for help.  We lived in Denton at the time and our favorite LFS was one located around Berry Street in Ft. Worth (owned for a LONG time by one of the nicest people we ever met named Mike).I forget which fish tipped the balance but before we added it, we had multiple tangs, multiple clowns, a lion fish, mandarin, etc. for the majority of that tank's life.  Looking back on it, we had some very aggressive fish.  In those days, I mistakenly thought only the 'lion fish' was aggressive.Fast forward to now with an empty nest - 1 daughter out of college & married & 1 finishing up college. Husband decided to pursue long awaited dream of doing a reef tank.  He's spent the past few years researching and seeing how much the hobby has changed (WOW!) and finally pulled the trigger on getting the tank about 8 ago..Just came by to say "hello" here.  Although it was mainly his dream, I've always been involved in livestock acquisition, feeding, etc. (I'm his tank 'sous chef').  Also, I'm an analyst for a living so when he's trying to figure something out.....I often jump online to research and inquire/ask for help/feedback/etc. Hope everyone had good holiday down-time!

Welcome to DFWMAS!  So glad to have you.  You should start a build thread so you can document the building process and we all can follow along and see the progress as well.

Welcome! Definitely fill us in with a tank build post. Would love to see what y'all are working on. Definitely reach out if you have questions or want to share anything. Hopefully we will see y'all soon, we do have a meet coming up this week, y'all should come out to meet some of the folks here :)http://www.dfwmas.org/event/dfwmas-coral-fragging-demonstration/?instance_id=40 

Hello KarenWelcome to DFW!  Looking forward to hearing about yawls new tank. Don't forget to take pictures as u go along. Its really nice to see how far your tank has come after a few years. To see what coral or fish u bought and see how they have grown.  Welcome to DFW