New Pygmy angel didn't make it .

raullozano3

Premium Member
So not sure it is a Emergency tank help, but I got this beautiful pygmy fireback angel and it didn't lasted more than 4 days. I first thought water parameters or it was already sick, but it had a nasty scar on the side, or it was rock entrapment or something else:The USUAL SUSPECTS ARE:
  • ROCK ENTRAPMENT.  <=== Suspect #2
  • 2 Juveniles Clowns
  • Watchman Goby and pistol shrimp <== Suspect #1
  • tailspot benny.
  • Corals.  SPS/LPS 
  • already sick
  • Water parameters but everything looks clean, some nitrates but nothing major.
I was taking the risk to get a dwarf angel in the reef tank, and I didn't even succeed.snif snif. View attachment 6002 

Sorry for your loss, been there done that. Sometimes it is hard to find out the cause because you feel like you do everything "right". You always still feel bad either way, even if you did everything you could. :-(

well I think I found the issue, my tailspot blenny is gone too, but can't find it, not sure if it is possible but I have found on SW anything is possible, the blenny was there before so he owned the rocks, then I added the pygmy and that guys started hiding at the rocks, I would not be surprised they ended up fighting. I missed them both, that had to get me another pair.  A starry blenny and a flame angel, and both are doing great, I do not think the pistol or goby care about them and the clowns are just busy hosted at the torch coral.  

That is definitely a possibility. I always use a "peacemaker" when introducing new fish into the display tank now. The new fish stays in a clear container with holes (I use a large "dipper" with holes drilled) at the top of the tank, for the other fish to get used to it. I also make sure it is eating well in the new tank before letting it roam with the rest of the community. Usually let it out within 3-5 days and have had lots of success with this.Marc also makes some custom "peacemakers".http://www.melevsreef.com/product/the-peacemaker