New member with a proposal

[I am probably the newest member :O I have been bothering Marc constantly for advise (who doesn't) Anyway I was needing to get my tank drilled and my LFS is wanting $30 per hole.. I want 5 holes drilled $150!!!! I would be willing to buy the special glass drill bits if someone else could supply some knowledge and perhaps a drillpress?? I don't know alot about drilling glass but wanted to throw this out and we could start drilling other members tanks, I believe Marc suggested this once before. Thanks for your time, please let me know what you guys think?]

[It was Brad's suggestion at our meeting in January, but I don't believe that has come to pass yet.

I was just reading about drilling glass on ReefCentral yesterday. The 1.5" diamond drillbit runs about $43. I believe a drillpress would be mandatory, although there are guys out there that have found ways around it.

Maybe you should buy the bit, and I buy the drill press and we tag team the club? Or you buy everything, and charge the members $5 or $10 a hole to recoup the money? ;)

Or make Brad follow through on his original proposal! lol]

[Ha I like that last Idea, let Brad get everything.. Oh wait I don't even know Brad yet!! Seriously though, those are good suggestions Marc, my wife would probably like the first one best, but I have been wanting to get a few items like table saw, drill press etc.. I think we should get this going and I doubt I would want to charge anyone maybe accept donations that would pay off the tools and the rest to the club?? :laugh: Anyway havin fun just thinking about it.]

[I bought the 1 3/4" diamond bit a couple weeks ago and so far I have drilled one hole using a drill press in 1/4" glass. It worked ok, but the vibration with my small drill press. I used water from the hose for constant cooling. The breakout on the inside was minimal but with all that vibration I expected more. I think I just got lucky. If you are going to drill glass the tripod press like they were looking at on reef central a couple weeks ago would work better.]

[I found that thread over on RC. One of those units runs over $500 plus shipping, but I don't understand how it would work. Surely you don't stand the tripod on the tank, and I don't believe it is big enough that a tank would fit underneath the legs.... ???]

[I have a small drill press, any idea what size you would need to accomplish this? If someone wants to buy the bit, I'm more than willing to let anyone give it a shot, but can't possibly warranty or guarantee the outcome. As a side note, Harbor Freight has pretty darn good prices on drill presses, and they consistently written up pretty well in different magazines. Just in case someone was looking to purchase one.]

[Well, I say we practice on Jon's tank. We get 5 chances to get it right!!! :p]

[:D Can't stop laughing Marc.. Actually I can't make up my mind, Planet Pet says the Oceanview tanks can only be drilled on the bottom, the sides are tempered I guess. I still don't like the idea of having pumps etc in my tank I may go ahead and get a lifereef hang on overflow and maybe use your external "closed loop" method Marc. I should have my stand tomorrow so I will be able to get a better idea of what to do when I can see what I have to work with.]

[How strange. Often times the floor of the tank is tempered, but this time the walls are? Can we still use it to practice? lol

When are you gonna come over here already? Got time tomorrow or Friday?]

[I see my suggestion has been remembered. I thought it got a few weird looks from everyone so I dropped it.

Yes. You do need a tripod type drill press. You just make the right height supports for the legs off the tank being drilled with whatever you have handy like wood, blocks, ect...

Oceanview tanks are drillable on all planes. They are not tempered glass.]

[I went ahead and sent my tank back and ordered one with internal overflow and 3 extra holes drilled for a closed loop, should get it next week :O However I still would like to get some equipment and help out others who may want some holes drilled. Marc said we could take down his 55 gallon and drill a few in it :D]

[Jon, let's do it at the next meeting! That way 80 people can see how it's done right.

Or wrong.

:D]

[Bedford Glass does a really nice job with drilling glass! I am about to have them drill a 10G with an overflow. It has tempered glass and they said they could do it with no problem.(Though if it breaks its not their fault)

Keith]

[As far as I know, tempered is undrillable. But I could be wrong... ???]

[They said that they have done it before without a problem. Though on a bigger tank they said they wouldnt try it!]

[Greetings everyone,

This is James Avery...hehee I'm back into the group. Been out for various reasons.

But, Here's what I know is the best deal with drilling tanks.

1. Always use a tripod or a drill press to drill them unless they are like a 10 gallon...

2. You can use a round pvc pipe about 3 inches high and glue a rubber seal to the bottom.

3. Place the rubber sealed pvc onto the area you want to drill the hole.

4. Put antifreeze in the pvc area...(that's why you want the seal on the bottom of the pvc.)

5. Place your drill bit down and turn it on very slow. You can put a bag of sand or something like that on your press handle so you don't have to hold it. This will way it down and grind the glass to create the hole.

6. Now you have a hole. HAHA!!

Be very carefull when creating holes. Almost all tanks doesn't have the bottom tempered. I really don't know any that do. But you know as soon as I say that, some numbnut will do it. I do know that oceanic tanks are tempered all around except the bottom. I think the oceanview tanks aren't tempered except when you get into the larger ones like 100 gallon...Not positive though. And all DAS tanks aren't tempered or at least the chief there at DAS told me that.

A really good place to see all this happen is www.wetdryfilter.com Tell him that James Avery sent you if you purchase anything. I don't get anything from it except kudos.

Thanks,
James Avery

Hope to see everyone at the next meeting.]