MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE

DFW

Membership Expired
<h3 class="first">MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3>? alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:11 pm?I have experimented for a number of months with a 1 sided algae scrubber, and through that have developed a liking for this technology! I like it enough that I decided to run one in place of my skimmer. This is very crude in construction, but I think that maybe it could be used as a jumping off point for a very simple scrubber that is easy to maintain, and keeps all the water where it should be, in the sump. I still need to refine the sheeting of the water on the growing surface, as some is squirting outward on one end rather than flowing downward. The top and the right side of the acrylic box are removable as one piece to provide access for removing the growing surface/plumbing for routine cleaning. I am including a couple of pictures now, and will offer others later.Thanks for looking!David<dl class="file"><dt> alt="algae scrubber left.JPG" /></dt><dd>algae scrubber left.JPG (78.47 KiB) Viewed 6253 times</dd></dl><dl class="file"><dt> alt="algae scrubber right.JPG" /></dt><dd>algae scrubber right.JPG (59.14 KiB) Viewed 6253 times</dd></dl>?- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank?<dl id="profile711300" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 1755</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 2</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: SE Fort Worth - near I20/287/820 split</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="gallery-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_offline.gif
/> [franklypre]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by franklypre on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:47 pmDefinately looks like it should work.<dl id="profile711319" class="postprofile"><dt></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 450</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 2</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:43 am</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Texarkana</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_offline.gif
/> [melev]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by melev on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:07 pmI think a light on both sides would be even better. Hinges to swing it open for maintenance would be nice too.MarcThe 400g Starphire Reef: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=76018<dl id="profile711327" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="96" height="83" /></dt><dd>Honorary
member.gif
alt="Honorary" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 40410</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 220</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:49 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Ft Worth, Tx</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li><li class="web-icon"></li><li class="gallery-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:20 pmThere is a light on both sides. I made small acrylic holders that fit the reflectors. The reflector on the right is 8 1/2 inches, and the reflector on the left is 10 1/2 inches. I am using 2700K 23 watt curly fluorescent bulbs at this time. If I were to hinge it, I don't think it would help. There is no room to swing anything anyway. The way that I have it now, I merely lift up the right side, which is hooked/hanging on at the top of the left half, and set it down out of the way. I did not want to have to lift the screen assembly out of the top when cleaning because water would drip on everything. This allows me to simply take the side off, and come right out the side with what needs regular cleaning.Thanks for the input!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile711329" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 1755</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 2</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: SE Fort Worth - near I20/287/820 split</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="gallery-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:31 pm
<cite>franklypre wrote:</cite>Definately looks like it should work. said:
I hope so! I would like to have LEDs, but this is simpler. The box is 3 inches wide, so reflectors are 1 1/2 inches from the screen. I could have made it closer. I don't know what the optimum distance would be.David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile711332" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [M@!]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by M@! on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:23 pmLooks good. I think 1.5 inches should work well. What kind of lights are you running? I used 2700 screw in PC bulbs and they worked great.<dl id="profile711344" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="96" height="96" /></dt><dd>Former Member
fmdnr_group.png
alt="Former Member" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 610</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 3</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:59 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Richardson</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_offline.gif
/> [franklypre]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by franklypre on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:47 pmIn my experience growing algae isn't about optimum lighting distance, as long as you can keep it from clogging and getting good light it WILL work. I ran one for a while but I really just don't have the fish needed to support one, be sure to change those bulbs every few months. As far as LEDs they aren't really much better for ATS IMO, plus they don't like humidity. Oh and the first time you clean it use a toothbrush and try to smear the algae over the entire growing surface, which I assume you scruffed up. Best of luck<dl id="profile711349" class="postprofile"><dt></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 450</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 2</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:43 am</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Texarkana</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:39 pm
<cite>M@! wrote:</cite>Looks good. I think 1.5 inches should work well. What kind of lights are you running? I used 2700 screw in PC bulbs and they worked great. said:
Thanks!I am using 2700K 23 watt CFL bulbs - the curly lamp bulbs. Surprisingly, they are bright enough to be hard to look at.David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile711377" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:41 pm
<cite>franklypre wrote:</cite>In my experience growing algae isn't about optimum lighting distance said:
Yeah, I am going to scrape it up some more tomorrow. I see a couple of little things I want to do to it before I turn it loose.Thanks!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile711378" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [washingtond]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by washingtond on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:53 pmCool, looking forward to seeing how it does.Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk[[David200/25 Gal SPS/Frag Tank75 Gal LPS/Softie Tank]][[Our Reef Tanks]]
rc_washingtond_sig.png
alt="Image" /><dl id="profile711379" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="68" height="50" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 9989</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 0</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:25 am</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Carrollton, Tx</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:08 pm
<cite>washingtond wrote:</cite>Cool said:
Thank you, sir! If my memory serves me, you have been running an algae scrubber for a while. May I ask how it is doing for ya'll? Are you still using it?Thanks!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile711380" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [washingtond]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by washingtond on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 am
<cite>DFW wrote:</cite>[quote="<cite>washingtond wrote:</cite>Cool said:
Thank you, sir! If my memory serves me, you have been running an algae scrubber for a while. May I ask how it is doing for ya'll? Are you still using it?Thanks!David"]Yes I ran one for a while as an experiment and must say it worked really well. I and currently not using it as there really was not enough room in my sump under the tank when it came time to remove the algae growth from the screen which was about once a week after it took off. I know that you will have good results with yours.[[David200/25 Gal SPS/Frag Tank75 Gal LPS/Softie Tank]][[Our Reef Tanks]]
rc_washingtond_sig.png
alt="Image" /><dl id="profile711470" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="68" height="50" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 9989</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 0</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:25 am</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Carrollton, Tx</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 am
<cite>washingtond wrote:</cite>[quote="<cite>DFW wrote:</cite>[quote="<cite>washingtond wrote:</cite>Cool said:
Thank you, sir! If my memory serves me, you have been running an algae scrubber for a while. May I ask how it is doing for ya'll? Are you still using it?Thanks!David"]Yes I ran one for a while as an experiment and must say it worked really well. I and currently not using it as there really was not enough room in my sump under the tank when it came time to remove the algae growth from the screen which was about once a week after it took off. I know that you will have good results with yours."]I could fit this and a skimmer in the sump if I re-plumbed the returns.It would be a little tight, but it would work. But I don't think it is necessary!Thanks for the encouragement!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile711497" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:20 pmThis has been running for almost a month. It has not had perfect sheeting of the water over the surface of the screen during most of that time. And water has tended to flow more on parts of the screen than others. And water has squirted outward, rather than flow down the screen in other places. I have tried several things to iron out these problems. A simple piece of felt material around the top of the pipe and fastened to each side seems like it might solve all these issues. We will see! Here are pictures showing each side of the screen as of today:<dl class="file"><dt> alt="3 10 12 algae scrubber 10.5 inch reflector side.JPG" width="660" /></dt><dd>3 10 12 algae scrubber 10.5 inch reflector side.JPG (73.41 KiB) Viewed 5967 times</dd></dl><dl class="file"><dt> alt="3 10 12 algae scrubber 8.5 inch reflector side.JPG" width="660" /></dt><dd>3 10 12 algae scrubber 8.5 inch reflector side.JPG (73.52 KiB) Viewed 5967 times</dd></dl>I am not cleaning the screens today, but will check them in a week, or so.David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile718605" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [McReefer]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by McReefer on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:17 amWhen running mine I was told to always get the black colored algae off. Just an FYI<dl id="profile719019" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="96" height="78" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 836</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 1</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:14 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: 75751</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:12 am
<cite>McReefer wrote:</cite>When running mine I was told to always get the black colored algae off. Just an FYI said:
I see some dark brown algae, but the green is slowly starting up. It won't be long before the good stuff takes over!david- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile719042" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:22 pmWell,I cleaned a few globs of algae off the screen a week ago, but took no pictures. Here are some from today. The 10 1/2 inch reflector works better than the 8 1/2 inch. The 8 1/2 inch has the bulb too close to the acrylic, and doesn't spread the light as well as the larger one. There is still a lot of brown algae, but the green is spreading. Anyway, it's all hanging on to the screen, exporting nutrients when I wash it in the sink. I think that with my system it will only need one side cleaned every other week, or so. We'll see.Thanks for looking!David<dl class="file"><dt> alt="algae screen 10.5 inch reflector side.JPG" width="660" /></dt><dd>algae screen 10.5 inch reflector side.JPG (135.93 KiB) Viewed 5812 times</dd></dl><dl class="file"><dt> alt="algae screen 8.5 inch reflector side.JPG" width="660" /></dt><dd>algae screen 8.5 inch reflector side.JPG (122.76 KiB) Viewed 5812 times</dd></dl>- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile725272" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [claynguyen1973]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by claynguyen1973 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:17 pmThat's great DavidClayArlington, TX<dl id="profile725313" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="68" height="80" /></dt><dd>Former Member
fmdnr_group.png
alt="Former Member" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 56</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 0</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:00 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Arlington, TX</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:49 am
<cite>claynguyen1973 wrote:</cite>That's great DavidClayArlington said:
Thanks, Clay! I have been skimmerless for about 2 months now, I think. I don't notice any changes in the tank so far. I have been adding phyto regularly for over a month now as well.David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile725342" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [claynguyen1973]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by claynguyen1973 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:47 pmI always has been a pleasure meet David. Thank for the 3 litres of phyto.ClayArlington, TX<dl id="profile726304" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="68" height="80" /></dt><dd>Former Member
fmdnr_group.png
alt="Former Member" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 56</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 0</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:00 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Arlington, TX</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 pm
<cite>claynguyen1973 wrote:</cite>I always has been a pleasure meet David. Thank for the 3 litres of phyto.ClayArlington said:
It is my pleasure having you come by!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile726424" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:57 amHere is the side that I scraped last week:<dl class="file"><dt> alt="4 8 12 algae screen 1 weeks growth.JPG" width="660" /></dt><dd>4 8 12 algae screen 1 weeks growth.JPG (161.42 KiB) Viewed 5695 times</dd></dl>And here is the side that I scraped 2 weeks ago:<dl class="file"><dt> alt="4 8 12 algae screen 2 weeks growth.JPG" width="660" /></dt><dd>4 8 12 algae screen 2 weeks growth.JPG (120.14 KiB) Viewed 5695 times</dd></dl>I am still working on a permanent solution for metering the water evenly on the screen. This felt material works ok for a week, but algae grows on it, it gets stiff, and clogs, and then some of the water is forced out the ends rather than down the screen. It works fine if I replace it every week, but will find a better solution!Thanks for looking!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile726862" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [BrianG]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by BrianG on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 amPretty cool, any adverse affects on water chemistry so far?[Formerly known as escaudio]<dl id="profile728717" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="64" height="77" /></dt><dd>Former Member
fmdnr_group.png
alt="Former Member" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 1073</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 2</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:23 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Work in Plano, live in Allen.</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:23 pmNo nitrates as of yet. And I removed about 20 pounds of live rock from the system a few weeks ago as well, and started adding phyto most every day, too. I had a light green acro start bleaching about a week ago, and it's turning brown now, after having turned white. I had placed it right at the top of the rock, and was too close to the light, I think. And I am seeing today that a very fast growing acro with a light green base upwards to sky blue tips of new growth is lightening up to a tan color on the branches, although it is retaining the blue tips, and green at the base, and green polyps on the tan stalks. It is fairly high in the tank. too. I understand that many of these corals are brown in the ocean, and that in our tanks, we get colors not always seen in the wild. I understand, also, that corals will change colors during certain events, and then return to their "prettier" state when we provide them with the right conditions. I am hoping, and trusting, that is the case here! I do not think that switching from a "cheap" skimmer to an algae scrubber has anything to do with this! I am more inclined to think that a somewhat sudden reduction in alkalinity may have something to do with it. I had been adding more baked baking soda each day than I should have for several weeks. Upon realizing that, 3 days ago I stopped doing that, and just added the daily limewater dosing, so the alk has fallen back slightly from around 9.7 to 8.7 over 3 or 4 days. I am now increasing, slightly, the daily dose of limewater so as to elevate the alk back to where it had been, and this will achieve the proper calcium level as well.I have not tested for phosphates, but since nitrates are at 0, and since I believe that an algae scrubber deals with phosphates as well as it does nitrates, I don't think that phosphates are likely to be a contributing factor to any of this either.Any insights will certainly be appreciated though!I am scraping a good bit of algae from one side of the screen every week.Thanks for your interest!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile728787" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:29 pmCan you run a mixed reef with sps, lps, soft coral, and 20 plus anemones with live rock, deep sand bed with plenum, an algae scrubber, and no skimmer? Well, for 70 days now, at least, with God's help, I have been. I have seen no increase in any "bad" algae. There are still no nitrates. There are no bad smells - I expected that without skimming that the water might stink a bit, but not so. During this 70 days I removed at least 20 pounds of live rock, and have fed phyto 30 days, which I had not done while using the skimmer, so actually have put more "pressure" on the scrubber than was on the skimmer, but everything looks to be ok so far. I am still running carbon for 12 hours each week as I had been all along. I am scraping 1 side of the screen each week now and getting several cups of algae from a scraped side. It is sticking fast to the screen - I keep some polyfill quilt stuffing under the scrubber to dampen what would be a splashing sound if it weren't there, and little debris is deposited there by the scrubber. I disconnect a hose fitting from the Mag 5, set the 2 lamps to the side, and carry the whole scrubber unit to the kitchen sink. A scrape, and a rinse, and brush run through, and around the feed pipe, and a good rinse of the felt that I use to eliminate water squirting other than on the screen, re attach the felt, and it's back in business! (The felt actually is preventing algae from growing into the slot of the feed pipe anyway, and I am using a foam filter on the Mag 5, so not feeding debris in there anyway.)Thanks for looking!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile730532" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [K_Red_Raider]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by K_Red_Raider on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:59 pmI'm following this. I've always like the thought of an algae scrubberSent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[[MACNA 2014 Bound!!!]]120 SPS dominated30 Zoa dominated<dl id="profile730558" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="80" height="53" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 1273</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 1</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:49 am</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: 79414</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm
<cite>K_Red_Raider wrote:</cite>I'm following this. I've always like the thought of an algae scrubberSent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD said:
Thanks!I am hoping that this is the very simple answer to eliminating many problems that are had in this hobby! If it basically removes everything that you don't want in your tank except silicates, and you want some silicates in your tank, while allowing the reef plankton type things to pass right on through to be used by the reef inhabitants, it seems to be a win win situation to me. Will sps coral do well in a system without a skimmer, and all the other gadgets being used by most today? I am hoping so!I dose lime water, and run this scrubber. That's basically all that I do, except do a 5 or 10 gallon water change every other week in a system that holds 120 actual gallons of water, and run 1 1/2 cups of carbon for 12 hours once a week in a Aquaclear 70. I am not saying that this is "it". I am just saying that this is what I am doing, and that I hope that I am getting closer to "it"!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile730597" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [melev]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by melev on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:50 pmCan you please measure your phosphate level and report that as well?Are you seeing more pods in the tank? The type that look like tiny dots buzzing about, not amphipods or copepods.MarcThe 400g Starphire Reef: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=76018<dl id="profile730613" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="96" height="83" /></dt><dd>Honorary
member.gif
alt="Honorary" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 40410</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 220</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:49 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: Ft Worth, Tx</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li><li class="web-icon"></li><li class="gallery-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:13 am
<cite>Marc wrote:</cite>Can you please measure your phosphate level and report that as well?Are you seeing more pods in the tank? The type that look like tiny dots buzzing about said:
Please tell me what is an acceptable phosphate test and I will attempt to do that as soon as possible. I have never tested for phosphates before.I have always had those little pods, but really have not made note of an increase.Thanks!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile730673" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [melev]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by melev on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:50 amDavid, PO4 should measure .03 or less. I had an interesting discussion with a vendor recently about how the skimmer takes out so much food that pods don't thrive. I've not seen the buzzing kind of pods Jessy posted a video of in my 400g, and I was wondering since yours is skimmerless if you've seen an increase. I'll get you a link to the video later.MarcThe 400g Starphire Reef: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=76018<dl id="profile730747" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="96" height="83" /></dt><dd>Honorary
member.gif
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:19 pm
<cite>Marc wrote:</cite>David said:
I should pay more attention. I have normally seen the pods when the glass gets a film on it, but I haven't been getting as much of a film on the glass, and what I have been getting, I have been cleaning more promptly. I will let some film grow on the glass and watch!But tell me what test kit to use for phosphates. I don't know which one to trust.Thanks!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile730847" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [melev]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by melev on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:30 pmI've used Elos and Salifert for PO4, and both do the job well. Salifert is easier.Here's the link with a video on the page: http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/ ... ssy-s-TankMarcThe 400g Starphire Reef: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=76018<dl id="profile730854" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="96" height="83" /></dt><dd>Honorary
member.gif
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:41 pm
OK. I'll get a hold of a test kit as soon as I can, or get someone to test it for me.Thank you!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile730856" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:12 pmWell, True Percula only has API & Seachem phosphate test kits, and I got the API. I have tested my water for phosphates just now for the first time in the almost 4 years the tank has been running. It shows to be 0 ppm - a very pale, clear yellow. I am sure that this is not considered to be the most accurate test kit for phosphates, but since the next color on the chart is green, and 0.25 ppm, surely I can at least gather that it is much closer to 0 ppm than it is to 0.25, since there is hardly any yellow color, and no green. And the kit is marked with an expiration date of Jan. 2015, so, I expect that it is a fresh kit.I have heard that you should rinse all of your frozen food before feeding to eliminate phosphates. I never have done that. I feed it 2 or 3 times a week soaked in Reef Plus, and I dump it all in. I have heard that flake food often has phosphates. I feed spirulina flakes 3 or 4 times per week. I sometimes feed pellet food once per week. I feed a tiny particle sized food once, or twice a week, too. And I have heard that feeding anemones can cause problems with all of their waste products. I have 20, and feed each one 2 or 3 eraser sized pieces of silversides, or more if they will take it, 3 times per week. I rarely find any waste products from the anemones that needs to be removed from the tank either.David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile731065" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [melev]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by melev on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:50 pmThat's good that you tested for it finally. And even better that you got a good reading.MarcThe 400g Starphire Reef: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=76018<dl id="profile731077" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="96" height="83" /></dt><dd>Honorary
member.gif
user_offline.gif
/> [McReefer]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by McReefer on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:37 pmIs that the virgin mary's face in your ATS???!!!! JK JK... but that is crazy looking. I ran mine for months and it never looked like that. The only time I had to clean it was when the algae started to hang off the screen on the bottom. But it never looked that thick. I also only ran one 60W bulb for 16 hours a day. Never read that you should do it that way but I never wound up cranking it up to the advised light settings.<dl id="profile731100" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="96" height="78" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 836</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 1</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:14 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: 75751</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:55 pm
<cite>McReefer wrote:</cite>Is that the virgin mary's face in your ATS???!!!! JK JK... but that is crazy looking. I ran mine for months and it never looked like that. The only time I had to clean it was when the algae started to hang off the screen on the bottom. But it never looked that thick. I also only ran one 60W bulb for 16 hours a day. Never read that you should do it that way but I never wound up cranking it up to the advised light settings. said:
I don't think so! And she is not a virgin any more any way. She had a number of children by Joseph after she bore our Savior by the Spirit of God!I don't know what the "advised light settings" are. I guess that you could use any wattage bulb that you want. David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile731104" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_offline.gif
/> [Powers]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by Powers on Tue May 01, 2012 11:05 amBeen following this with great interest was curious if you could give some info in how you made the acrylic box is it siliconed? What size acrylic used? Awesome build looks like your getting a lot per week as well40g RR BreederPowers<dl id="profile732827" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="50" height="50" /></dt><dd>Former Member
fmdnr_group.png
alt="Former Member" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 98</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:26 am</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="email-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?Top?
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Tue May 01, 2012 6:46 pm
<cite>Powers wrote:</cite>Been following this with great interest was curious if you could give some info in how you made the acrylic box is it siliconed? What size acrylic used? Awesome build looks like your getting a lot per week as well said:
Acrylic is put together with acrylic solvent cement. I made the 2 piece box so that it would fit inside the sump tank. I made it so that it would be as far into the sump as possible without getting the reflectors wet when the power goes off and sends more water down there. And I made it as tall as I could make it and still be able to take it in and out easily without getting in a bind anywhere. The box is 3 inches wide, although I am thinking 4 inches would be ok, and maybe better. The 2 narrow sides, the bottom, and the left side - looking at my photos - where the water line comes in through a cutout on top, are one piece. The top, and the right side are one piece. You just fix it where you can set the right side in to the left side.I hope that's at least a little clearer than mud!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile732988" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
user_online.gif
/> [DFW]?<ul class="profile-icons"><li class="edit-icon"></li><li class="report-icon"></li><li class="quote-icon"></li></ul><h3>Re: MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE</h3> alt="Post" width="11" height="9" />by DFW on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 pmA few more days and I will have run this algae scrubber in place of the skimmer for 4 months. All the corals look good to me. Well, at least the ones that were looking good still look good to me. It seems like I am having to clean the glass a little less often. I have increased lime water dosing during this time as well. Rather than dosing 1 gallon saturated solution every night, and adding baking soda, too, I increased to between 1.25 & 1.375 gallons saturated solution, and no baking soda. I will likely change the light bulbs soon, since many have said that they should be changed every few months. I am presently using a piece of felt draped over the top of the scrubber with a large loose fitting rubber band keeping the felt somewhat snug up to the growing surface. It is working ok, but am still thinking there is a better way. And I am wondering if a Mag 7 pump would be better than this Mag 5. Sometimes it looks like it could use a little more flow.Thanks for looking!David- 65g acro tank w/DSB, 2/3 plenum, 4 39w T5s, 30 royal blue LEDs- 26g sump w/Mag 5 algae scrubber & Mag 3 return - Inline - 18g shallow frag tank, 29g acro tank, 8g cryptic- 29g divided quarantine/rose bubble tank<dl id="profile744467" class="postprofile"><dt> alt="User avatar" width="57" height="43" /></dt><dd>Premium
member.png
alt="Premium" /></dd><dd>?</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Posts: 1755</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Images: 2</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 pm</dd><dd class="leftddprofile">Location: SE Fort Worth - near I20/287/820 split</dd><dd><ul class="profile-icons"><li class="pm-icon"></li><li class="gallery-icon"></li></ul></dd></dl>?

I am still running this scrubber. I have found that you get better water flow by having the screen hanging just below the slot rather than having it inserted in the slot. It gets much better flow this way.

It grows algae. Only the modification that I mentioned in the previous post has been made, and it makes a big difference on the flow. I also have placed a sponge filter on the inlet of the mag 5 pump that runs the scrubber.

I have a small skimmer rated for 30 gallons on the frag tank that is inline with this system. It seems to help keep that small frag tank cleaner than without it.

Wow that is great, ever since I saw this I have been thinking about a design for my system. Thanks for sharing!