Moved my new tank yesterday - aptasia infestation but otherw

AngEngland

Premium Member
Finally! Yesterday was the day to move our 110g tank. When we arrived they had already moved all the live rock into two large trash cans with lids, half filled with water.

I was then able to put a 5g bucket directly into the tank and coax the yellow tang into one, and then the pair of clowns into the other. Snap on lids with air stone insertion during our pit stop halfway home kept them inside and well oxygenated during the 45 miles drive. Worked like a charm.

The tank came with in tank filter/skimmer/heater unit and an under tank filter system. Also came with a wave maker system and lights for FOWLR system. Got everything set up on our end, added about 40g new water after all the water we moved in the rocks' and fish containers plus two other ice chests full of water and assorted clean up crew critters, etc.

28034a56f418386e35bb752faf88369f.jpg
alt="">

One of the live rocks had sponges on it and a crab so this aquascaping isn't finished I just got everything in the water to start and got the filters going. Water cleared over night very nicely and I fed the fish this morning with no problems.

The tang (now named Lemondaid thanks to my kids) was a bit shy at first but once he got a flake that was falling he decided he was hungrier than he was shy and darted up to the top to snag some food.

The clowns (now named Thunder and Lightning) ate right away.

8e780bb6ed12d5ada485692bc60fdba8.jpg
alt="">

I rescaped the rocks just a little bit ago and I have created two piles. The one in front of the in-tank box is more upright but has cool caves, cubby holes and shelves for corals later on.

fb5c3e8c7bfeaf6bab09fbefae1607e4.jpg
alt="">

Yes it's touching the back in one spot but I can get the mag float around the glass three sides so that's better than it was.

e8b206af51da9afdbe289f6ef54f21ad.jpg
alt="">

I love the way the right side turned out with multiple caves and a "bridge" from a flat shelf rock. It turned out really cool and it's a longer and wider than the other side. Plenty of clear sand between them and in the front of the tank for future additions.

Plenty of air space for corals - coming soon I hope!

I was afraid from the pictures that the tank had aptasia and I was right. Anyone have some peppermint shrimp or a filefish or such they don't need? Want to get that under control BEFORE I add coral obviously.

25b42b83671a9f9992eb5b90abd11ea9.jpg
alt="">

One thing I noticed about the clowns is that one is misbarred. It's been awhile since I've been in salt water but I've seen a couple clowns for sale that have unusual bars or markings. Is this more common in captive bred clowns now?

More later. Still will upgrade the lighting for corals. But that aptasia needs to be addressed first. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk