Live Blackworms Anyone?

masharp1126

Membership Expired
I've got a Copperband Butterfly in QT that hasn't eaten in 4 to 5 days now, that I've seen. Does anyone have any live blackworms, in the Dallas to McKinney area that would be willing to give or sell me a few to try? Everything I've read on RC says that most fish, especially butterflies go crazy for them.

Or, does anyone know of any fish stores in this same area that have them? I've tried several and have found none that carry them.

I would check the texas cichlid association board, I have a buddy locally that has some but I'm 3 hours away.

I have had luck with getting copperband's to go for the larger pe mysis when nothing else worked. You may also want to get a rock with aiptasia in there pretty quick to get some food in him/her, a week is usually as long as they last w/o eating ime.

Cheers,

If you haven't tried it yet, you could also try a freshwater mussel from the deli. You crack the shell with a hammer just enough for it to get it's mouth in there, and drop it in. I had a CBB for six months before it starved because I failed to be able to wean it to frozen, and was told that this method is typically successful in getting them to eat. I didn't get the chance to try it though, so I'd be happy to hear if it worked for someone else.

Thanks everyone, I've got an oriental market close by so I'll stop and pick up a couple of fresh mussels and see if that works.

I'll also call Dane and see if he has any blackworms, and worst case, I'll run over to True Percula. I'll be there in Arlington on Thursday evening for a High School game at Cowboy stadium, so True Percula not much further.

Dallas North Aquarium has live black worms; unknown if several years ago they stocked live black worms when you were looking. Of course I discovered tonight after I had 1/8 of a pound shipped UPS overnight from Pennsylvania's Eastern Aquatics since last week California black worm people said drought impacting their ability to ship - at least now I know there are options - near and far!! After getting these worms in, disappointed worms only wriggle a few seconds before dying in saltwater. 
View attachment 12060
Tomorrow worm feeder little funnel cup arrives (pictured above) and perhaps if worms hanging out, waving in current will be more appetizing for my fish than worm curled dead on bottom (will siphon out as no interest (yet)). Above mentions mussels and for finicky eaters, also I heard clams or scallops on the half shell are very good if you can find at oriental food store. Would be interested in learning how long it takes for finicky fish to decide to try something. How long are you leaving food in tank? How many options do you try at same time? When fish isn't eating, it feels like clock is ticking to get something nutritious inside fish so it doesn't starve

In about 2-3 weeks I am placing another Eastern Aquatics live black worm order. My CBB #2 doing AMAZING on these worms! If anyone would like to piggyback onto my order to save shipping costs, please PM me.