Lisa's Pico Pair Aiptasia Farm for Berghia Breeding

Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors

Lisa's Pico Pair Aiptasia Farm for Berghia Breeding

October 28, 2022 I just purchased 2 AIO DeskMates 4.8 gallon tanks

Bundled tank supplies will be split among both tanks.

One of these AIO (the one that gets the heater) will be for aiptasia, as it grows best between 78-80 degrees. Berghia tank will not have a heater, as the Berghia do not seem to have temperature preference.

This is the basic AIO I just ordered:

AIO purchase - bare option.jpg

This is the same AIO but with extra supplies, all of which I can use and at bundled savings. I also just ordered below and will split bundled supplies across both tanks:

AIO purchase - deluxe option.jpg

Great thing about these tanks is they are only 11" x 12" x 10" so I'm hoping to sneak them among my pod culture 'beverage container' type "tanks" ... and therefore they don't count as "tanks" ... so even though I'm adding two more tanks, officially I still will only have two tanks - 180 gallon and 55 gallon... (not the nine or 10 tanks depending how one counts and what's going on (if fish QT is also going...) lol

Initially one of above tanks was going to be my much needed coral QT tank, but I will put off new coral purchases until main tank is better controlled. The other tank was going to be a macroalgae tank, and instead my 5gallon glass PetSmart tank is being repurposed from fish quarantine to macroalgae tang snacks

Attachments

• 2022-10-28 R2R VLANGEL inspiring macroalgae and more tank post screenshot.jpg
    2022-10-28 R2R VLANGEL inspiring macroalgae and more tank post screenshot.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
After trying to hide new pico tank arrivals (used shipping box as temporary desk...) after work November 8th I setup tanks. They are fairly easy setup.

2022-11-08 sand added before water added.jpg

I had this old modular shelving that originally held items and eventually stored in attic. I took down some bits of it to create a shelf over my smaller boxed chiller where towels are stored. This lets me still keep my fish room towels but have room for the new pico tanks by my other culture tanks.

Caribsea live sand (Fiji Pink) was crazy cloudy but about 12 hours later I can see thru tank so cloudy is becoming minimal. I wouldn't yet put anything with gills into there. CaribSea has great information right on the sand bag back which indicates one should wait 3 days before adding fish. CaribSea also includes a little pouch of clarifier in the sand bag. I followed the clarifier instructions by taking equal amounts of saltwater out of both picos, added clarifier to saltwater container, stirred and then returned equal amounts of saltwater plus clarifier back to both pico tanks. Since Instant Ocean Bio-Spira was included in above bundle, I also added the Instant Ocean Bio-Spira by pouring out bottle into little measuring cups - it worked out each tank got about 55ml.

Bundled was EHEIM Jager 25w TruTemp heater, which is rated for tanks up to 7 gallons. I've always liked their heaters. I did not expect such a nice heater to come bundled by Bulk Reef Supply. My aiptasia will be spoiled.

Last edited:
Unfortunately 1 of the 2 little Eshopps CIRCA 100 pumps rated at 110GPH 8w barely pumps water. I reached to BRS and they reached to Eshopps. I tried phoning Eshopps sales, but could only leave message.

While that gets resolved, and since it is always good to have a backup return pump, even if return pump is for tiny pico tank, I've gone ahead and ordered this additional pump with fingers crossed it will fit in my DeskMates - space for return pump is TINY. I've measured my Eshopps CIRCA 100 pump and similar in size to below - I like that SICCE power consumption is 2.6w vs 8w. Fingers crossed.

Syncra Nano Pump (110 GPH) - Sicce​

Specifications

• Max Flow: 110 GPH
  • Max Head Height: 27 inches
  • Input Size: ½”
  • Output Size: ½”
  • Dimensions: 2.3”L x 1.7”W x 1.8”H
  • Power Consumption: 2.6 Watts
  • Cord Length: 5 feet
Update: MY USER ERROR on that Eshopps CIRCA 100 pump!! Turns out the side bump has a tiny lever/switch to adjust speed - now I LOVE LOVE LOVE that tiny adjustable pump!! Can't believe how powerful it can go... so now I want another Eshopps CIRCA 100 pump!

Last edited:
At the Fall Frag Swap 11/5, North American Coral Labs was selling Berghia and someone bought couple. She found they laid eggs in the container shortly after event (1-2 days? need to confirm). On 11/22 she was kind enough to give me the eggs for my berghia experiement.

This site says eggs hatch in 10-14 days, depending temperature:

We could be around day 16 they arrived, but unknown storage temperature.

Eggs are not sticking to the container they arrived in. I've turned off water flow in tank as I know aiptasia will eat berghia if given chance, so I don't want aiptasia to catch baby berghia eggs. Probably I should instead add small aiptasia to berghia travel cup, putting eggs back in cup... instead of what I did which was add eggs to tank...

11/25 update... still no sign (did turn flow back on) but was told initially they will be too small to see. This other person's post of babies swarming an aiptasia warms my heart:

Last edited:
December 9, 2022 update - Berghia are in the Pico Pair Berghia Breeding Tanks... okay, just one tank in use at the moment... got 7 young ones from local guy, got another 7 from saltyunderground up north (bit older), and got 13 breeding age berghia from florida... what a week!

Was going to put some into the 180 gallon, but really want them to breed... who knows what is going on in the 180 gallon and its so large they'll just disappear... at least in the breeding tank I can keep adding aiptasia and can move them over ensuring steady supply going in.

Aiptasia counts are lower in the pico!

Did gather some sand aiptasia from the 180g and moved into pico. Used a small container to move same sand back once it is cleaner...

ALSO, not sure if there are tiny mysis? from the sand I moved over OR if maybe those old eggs did hatch. I've been trying to keep the water movement/flow low to encourage crawling hatchlings (as opposed to swimming hatchlings and to hopefully keep berghia from going thru the overflow grate...) Today, had an accidental moment of high flow and saw these baby berghia/tiny shrimp flying around in there... HMMM ... next week I'll have time to stare into that tank and figure out what might be going on... and in a week eggs from the florida oldest berghia should be laying ... and in 2-3 weeks even my youngest berghia introduced this week might even be laying eggs! COME ON BABIES!

Last edited:
Like everything in this hobby, I should be moving slower... I know it... going to do waterchange on one of my main tanks and extra water will give berghia pico a water change ... and putting that water into my 180 so IF baby berghia then they have someplace to settle... guess by default this means my FOWLR gets water change... then I can mix more saltwater for 180 water change

Zoas on cute arch were added to breeding pico tank where all berghia and most aiptasia (vs other pico lol ... MOST aiptasia are in my 180 display tank).

Berghia do not like light, wasn't really feeding zoas, flow is so low BF keeps telling me I have no flow... I'm like TOUCH IT... Airstone is too much for hatchlings... TOUCH IT... there IS flow... LOW l.o.w. flow... aka berghia flow (and... maybe even too much for my berghia) but I really wanted SOME flow... so it is the absolute minimum flow a Circa 100 can put out (it can range from powerful to wimpy - amazing such a small pump is so versatile)

Anyhow zoas looked rather melty yesterday or day (1-3 days) before. Mentioned that night perhaps
  • I need to invest in an actual frag tank
    • QT for corals, move corals over for aiptasia treatments, ...
  • I need breeding tank for just berghia and aiptasia to be eaten by berghia
    • not yet aiptasia on rocks and/or corals
    • maybe I'm being too impatient wanting aiptasia off my corals while bergia quantities increasing
    • melty zoas may mean all my berhia were poisoned/being poisoned
  • last night BF moved best looking ricordeas into berhia tank as mushrooms also hating aiptasia
    • today melty mushrooms... BF totally upset... he loved those mushrooms
      • zoas were already melty... I'm not surprised but...
      • berghias if they survived melty nuclear green zoas, now also melty mushrooms
      • sad for berghias... water change coming ... LOW LOW flow so charcoal isn't option
Patience is the magic in this hobby.

Picos may be too small for my large dreams... Picos were just my way to get around restriction on getting another tank (and having some money but not enough money)... wish space and resources were unlimited...

still waiting to find trust fund parent that wants to adopt me... and give me a basement I can fill with fish tanks... lack of basements in Texas is really pesky... lol

2022-12-30 sand removed and pod hotel.JPG

Sometime in last two weeks pico breeding berghia tanks turned around (esp right side... left side might do another water change before adding any more aiptasia into left side.
  • new berghia added into right breeding tank
    • about 18 in 2 orders
    • eggs laid in 12/19 order bag
      • BF rushed them out of bag - now we know when they are slow leaving, there is reason
    • eggs maybe laid inside 12/28 order container
      • stuffed container into PVC to hold it down in water for later examination
      • berghia managed to get at container lid treads, then in threads, so put blue lid in tank too
  • tanks turned sideways
I turned pico tanks sideways to see into back more easily. This was helpful for judging evaporation. Then finally setup the IceCap ATOs I purchased from Melev's Reef - now evaporation management is automated - YIPEE:

Mostly berghia are in the right side tank, so mostly I keep feeding aiptasia on right side. Berghia have me trained... feed them an aiptasia each and they drop coils of eggs. They keep making eggs on various surfaces. I am afraid I injure eggs if I try to remove eggs, so now I'm just tossing whatever gets eggs "permanently (?)" into tank. The 12/18 plastic bag that had eggs on the inside now have even more inside and even eggs outside since bag was weighted down in the water.

Various things junking up tank but will be a jungle gym for the babies to crawl upon. Not sure if berghia hide (yet?) in the Pod Hotel (yellow box with openings) shown in tanks (refer photo). As long as I keep lights really dim, berghia seem content to eat and then flop near where they ate an aiptasia. I like how quickly aiptasia disappear from berghia breeding tank. Berghia also cuddle. They seem to congregate together in a corner. Radiating from 'cuddle corner" continue to be more and more swirly eggs :) Go Berghia Go !! Have not yet seen any signs that eggs hatch but babies are supposed to be invisible. I'm in middle of the 10-14 day hatching zone from the very first coils laid inside that plastic bag (that now has more inside and some outside). The first coils were small, likely because berghia were removed from bag before done laying eggs.

Earlier today 12/30 I suspected a shell with bit of pulsing xenia was added by BF (sigh). However now berghia is there... maybe I mistook berghia (or multiple bergihias) for xenia (don't recall if I actually saw pulse... and light is dim). Did find bristle worm in pico that shouldn't have gotten there (shell suspected for worm, too). Removed worm with tweezers. Wish berghia were bigger...

The container and blue lid shown in above photo were removed 12/30, but there are berghia 'traces' ... think slime as opposed to actual eggs or anything... I'm likely putting cup and lid in sump of 180 gallon main tank. If it is berghia anything that is a positive and if it is aiptasia anything its not like 1,000,001 is any different than 1,000,000 ...

Hoping main tank berghia doing as well. Hoping in a month I'll have more in breeding tank that I can move some over to main tank - fingers crossed!

Feeding aiptasia...

January 8th update - berghia breeder tank doing well based on rate aiptasia disappear, though today during the morning I could only locate three. Berghia are GREAT hiders.

In corresponding tank pair I've got back-up aiptasia. Somehow aiptasia are growing, not that pico tanks get much light. (In the pico pair when I'm breeding aiptasia, berghia eat aiptasia before it gets a chance to grow - Go Berghia Go!)

Today for the first time, I fed aiptasia... I'll not defame the food/brand I used... but let me say watching an aiptasia eat is eye opening. Exquisitely (annoyingly) efficient.... Aiptasia don't have to curl the whole way around their food like either a BTA or rock flower... in fact the area around the mouth moved food in, moved food down, and (all, all but 1... depends if tentacle grabbed food or I placed on aiptasia) tentacles remained out - poised to catch other/more food.

I now realize many times I fed my main tank where the aiptasia problem is still severe, I thought, well at least the fish and/or corals got most of that broadcast food and aiptaisia didn't seem to catch any/much... Now I know I was wrong. Probably I was very, very, very, very wrong.

I feel a little ill.

Jan 15th update:
Breeder tanks helped grow the recently purchased berghias up to full size. Caught one emerging from Pod Hotel and would have sworn none inside. Masters of hiding when there is light and not eating/resting/breeding. My cutest story, but this was a ONE time only event, is one that hid on the side of a tiny stone. Saw one of the face antennas poking out. Worried that either an aiptasia was eating berghia and i was watching it get sucked inside OR aiptasia was turning white (from maybe eating berghias?!). Watched tiny stone off and on all day. Tiny feeler didn't get smaller. That night, tiny stone was same size but different color - berghia had wrapped its body flat around that tiny stone but forgot to 'tuck in' one 'whisker'.

Over two nights spread out, I moved all of the adults over into main tank. With all the eggs and hatchings, I've got my fingers crossed some babies may soon be large enough to be visible in breeder tanks... This means I have faith they are surviving / thriving... Aiptasia babies I keep introducing do keep disappearing from berghia breeder tank... this is a sign (hopefully) they are there - even though I can't see them...

Sitting on fence if I should purchase more more "older" berghias that I can fatten up to bump start population... can't see any downside to it (other than less money in my checkbook...)

This week, I am getting more berghia juveniles for grow out in breeder tank!

Did find another adult IN breeder tank, so back to wondering if eggs hatched and babies growing since maybe that adult is scarfing up little aiptasias... catching and moving that adult to main tank tonight... hope it can find its friends since it isn't going with others tonight (unless another adult shows up later tonight...) However, I *always* had tiny aiptasias I keep moving over.

Given this R2R breeder thread. Tip on how to better see babies. They started about when my breeder tank RE-started (following zoa toxic tank meltdown...). Also reading this, my flow differs. My tank might be slower water movement than their airstone option BUT is going thru the Deskmate AIO areas (no sock) so there are the acrylic walls, etc that perhaps could bang up babies.

Tonight I'm going to try nighttime recognizance with sideways flashlight. Fingers crossed I spot a baby (or MORE)

I HAVE BABY BERGHIAS !!!

It is nearly midnight... I've stayed up late, did the flashlight "trick" and it took minutes to spot them... and then discovered them hiding in plain sight all over my breeder tank... WAHOO!!

Those of you with kids... you'll relate when I say at this young age tiny berghia they are less like amphipods and look & move more like lice... but I compare my copepods to ants... guess in a different life I was into bugs but this life I am into aquatic!

GO BABIES GO!!! GROW GROW GROW!!!

I bought 10 from salty underground around the 1st of February and usually see 2-3 a night all nice and brown with glowing tips telling me they are definitely eating.

Tonight to my surprise I spotted my 1st baby bergia! I was about to give up on them surviving no less reproducing considering that I have 8 WRASSE in the aquarium.

Hopefully there is a chance fighting this aggressive strain of aptasia I have. They reproduce quite fast. I've had to shut down all forms of broadcast and coral feeding for the time being until things get under control.

See you at the swap on Saturday!

Did you ever have any success with these pico tanks? I'm currently on the fence of buying one of these pico tanks, but I have not seen many out in the wild.

Deskmate runs exactly as they say. Our family is now up to three of them (daughter has one (freshwater) in kitchen). My two I bought more as an end-run around "no more tanks" family decree... They were not what I really wanted but instead what I thought I could sneak in onto a shelf (spotted as "tank" pretty early on lol). I'm not really a pico person nor am I a rimless tank person, so I wouldn't do it again. Adding an ATO to a pico defeats look and space restriction... I do not have a cover to help control evaporation. Pump that comes with it is highly adjustable, I have it on lowest setting and have to work at salt creep cleanup... can't imagine how pico people keep that clean with standard speed pump rate. I have seen competitor brand of similar sized pico tank at Ocean Avenue in Arlington but it cost more (but better made).

If you are a pico person, then you likely will be happy with a Deskmate, esp for the low price. However, on a purely price basis, a 5 gallon traditional rectangular tank costs WAY less (so does a bucket... for my needs, I likely could have been in a bucket or 5-10 gallon tank.)

My BF asked me if I were going to be serious about raising berghia. I've been blessed that people share their tips but I have yet to follow their success tips. From eggs, even lowest setting of AIO Deskmate pump is too high. I should be using only airstone on very low bubble rate (1 bubble per 1-2 seconds). I keep using my Deskmates because i bought them, but for my needs I would have been better off without (and even gone bucket).

I should be in bucket(s).

You should know your need and desire and follow that. It may lead you to Deskmate picos like I have.

Deskmate runs exactly as they say. Our family is now up to three of them (daughter has one (freshwater) in kitchen). My two I bought more as an end-run around "no more tanks" family decree... They were not what I really wanted but instead what I thought I could sneak in onto a shelf (spotted as "tank" pretty early on lol). I'm not really a pico person nor am I a rimless tank person, so I wouldn't do it again. Adding an ATO to a pico defeats look and space restriction... I do not have a cover to help control evaporation. Pump that comes with it is highly adjustable, I have it on lowest setting and have to work at salt creep cleanup... can't imagine how pico people keep that clean with standard speed pump rate. I have seen competitor brand of similar sized pico tank at Ocean Avenue in Arlington but it cost more (but better made).

If you are a pico person, then you likely will be happy with a Deskmate, esp for the low price. However, on a purely price basis, a 5 gallon traditional rectangular tank costs WAY less (so does a bucket... for my needs, I likely could have been in a bucket or 5-10 gallon tank.)

My BF asked me if I were going to be serious about raising berghia. I've been blessed that people share their tips but I have yet to follow their success tips. From eggs, even lowest setting of AIO Deskmate pump is too high. I should be using only airstone on very low bubble rate (1 bubble per 1-2 seconds). I keep using my Deskmates because i bought them, but for my needs I would have been better off without (and even gone bucket).

I should be in bucket(s).

You should know your need and desire and follow that. It may lead you to Deskmate picos like I have.
Thank you for the extensive reply! I think I will go ahead and buy one, but they are currently out of stock. I don't like the fact that the ones that are in stock are paired with bundles. I'll wait to see if anyone here is selling one in the future.

latest update is I refer people:

My disabled mom went blind this year so I moved her to TX so she could live with us. My tiny tanks were taken down due to all my travels April thru October. Unsure when/if my supplemental tanks might go back up.

Pleased to report earlier this year the berghia DID eat all those aiptasia - it just took 2x longer than everyone said (but I had more than anyone had seen LOL - clearing up took 6 months). I wouldn't say I'm 'aiptasia free' even though I haven't seen any for months... Just like anyone, once infected if even one aiptasia is hanging out somewhere then they'll be back. I have yet to see hungry berghia roaming looking for food LOL. I practice 'safe' water practices and to the best of my knowledge my mixed reef 180 gallon (has) never infected my 60 gallon FOWLR, though in same room.