Lisa's Pico Pair Aiptasia Farm for Berghia Breeding

Fish Think Pink

Administrator
Staff member

Lisa's Pico Pair Aiptasia Farm for Berghia Breeding

October 28, 2022 I just purchased 2 AIO DeskMates 4.8 gallon tanks

Bundled tank supplies will be split among both tanks.

One of these AIO (the one that gets the heater) will be for aiptasia, as it grows best between 78-80 degrees. Berghia tank will not have a heater, as the Berghia do not seem to have temperature preference.

This is the basic AIO I just ordered:

AIO purchase - bare option.jpg

This is the same AIO but with extra supplies, all of which I can use and at bundled savings. I also just ordered below and will split bundled supplies across both tanks:

AIO purchase - deluxe option.jpg

Great thing about these tanks is they are only 11" x 12" x 10" so I'm hoping to sneak them among my pod culture 'beverage container' type "tanks" ... and therefore they don't count as "tanks" ... so even though I'm adding two more tanks, officially I still will only have two tanks - 180 gallon and 55 gallon... (not the nine or 10 tanks depending how one counts and what's going on (if fish QT is also going...) lol

Initially one of above tanks was going to be my much needed coral QT tank, but I will put off new coral purchases until main tank is better controlled. The other tank was going to be a macroalgae tank, and instead my 5gallon glass PetSmart tank is being repurposed from fish quarantine to macroalgae tang snacks

Attachments

• 2022-10-28 R2R VLANGEL inspiring macroalgae and more tank post screenshot.jpg
    2022-10-28 R2R VLANGEL inspiring macroalgae and more tank post screenshot.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

Administrator
Staff member
After trying to hide new pico tank arrivals (used shipping box as temporary desk...) after work November 8th I setup tanks. They are fairly easy setup.

2022-11-08 sand added before water added.jpg

I had this old modular shelving that originally held items and eventually stored in attic. I took down some bits of it to create a shelf over my smaller boxed chiller where towels are stored. This lets me still keep my fish room towels but have room for the new pico tanks by my other culture tanks.

Caribsea live sand (Fiji Pink) was crazy cloudy but about 12 hours later I can see thru tank so cloudy is becoming minimal. I wouldn't yet put anything with gills into there. CaribSea has great information right on the sand bag back which indicates one should wait 3 days before adding fish. CaribSea also includes a little pouch of clarifier in the sand bag. I followed the clarifier instructions by taking equal amounts of saltwater out of both picos, added clarifier to saltwater container, stirred and then returned equal amounts of saltwater plus clarifier back to both pico tanks. Since Instant Ocean Bio-Spira was included in above bundle, I also added the Instant Ocean Bio-Spira by pouring out bottle into little measuring cups - it worked out each tank got about 55ml.

Bundled was EHEIM Jager 25w TruTemp heater, which is rated for tanks up to 7 gallons. I've always liked their heaters. I did not expect such a nice heater to come bundled by Bulk Reef Supply. My aiptasia will be spoiled.

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately 1 of the 2 little Eshopps CIRCA 100 pumps rated at 110GPH 8w barely pumps water. I reached to BRS and they reached to Eshopps. I tried phoning Eshopps sales, but could only leave message.

While that gets resolved, and since it is always good to have a backup return pump, even if return pump is for tiny pico tank, I've gone ahead and ordered this additional pump with fingers crossed it will fit in my DeskMates - space for return pump is TINY. I've measured my Eshopps CIRCA 100 pump and similar in size to below - I like that SICCE power consumption is 2.6w vs 8w. Fingers crossed.

Syncra Nano Pump (110 GPH) - Sicce​

Specifications

• Max Flow: 110 GPH
  • Max Head Height: 27 inches
  • Input Size: ½”
  • Output Size: ½”
  • Dimensions: 2.3”L x 1.7”W x 1.8”H
  • Power Consumption: 2.6 Watts
  • Cord Length: 5 feet

Fish Think Pink

Administrator
Staff member
At the Fall Frag Swap 11/5, North American Coral Labs was selling Berghia and someone bought couple. She found they laid eggs in the container shortly after event (1-2 days? need to confirm). On 11/22 she was kind enough to give me the eggs for my berghia experiement.

This site says eggs hatch in 10-14 days, depending temperature:

We could be around day 16 they arrived, but unknown storage temperature.

Eggs are not sticking to the container they arrived in. I've turned off water flow in tank as I know aiptasia will eat berghia if given chance, so I don't want aiptasia to catch baby berghia eggs. Probably I should instead add small aiptasia to berghia travel cup, putting eggs back in cup... instead of what I did which was add eggs to tank...

11/25 update... still no sign (did turn flow back on) but was told initially they will be too small to see. This other person's post of babies swarming an aiptasia warms my heart:

Last edited: