LFS That Quarantine

Are there any local fish stores that quarantine their fish or offer to at additional cost?

"Quarantine" shouldn't be as vague a term as I find it used not just LFSs but industry wide.

Personally, I find have a conversation about a specific fish in a specific store with someone familiar with the fish I'm considering bringing home is best I've found. I've got a PetSmart tank I setup for QT purposes but usually it lives under my desk until needed (since I've got to adjust salinity anyhow...)

Given how LFSs around metroplex range in salinity from 1.018 to 1.028, having at least something to acclimate a few days seems like something one should have (unless always use same LFS and they have same/close salinity to yours). Take that concept and just extend a few weeks and you've got your own quarantine (that perhaps can be turned into hospital tank, if/when needed).

Earlier this year, Toledo Zoo Curator and Author Jay Hemdal spoke at one of DFWMAS monthly meetings on quarantine and fish diseases:

Earlier this year, Lee Lawson of School of Fish gave great acclimation training at DFWMAS monthly meeting:

Glass Aquatics is only in area LFS I'm aware offering medication/hospital services and has back room setup that likely can accommodate quarantine. School of Fish will do quarantining to a point. Remember most LFSs have majority of tanks plumbed together, and their business model is truly more about volume. TSM Aquatics in New Jersey will track down fish, then do quarantining, but everyone hates their prices (but prices have to be higher to account for the extra time (food, space usage) they give fish.) When a few of my fish died during quarantine, I received store credit (save that email!) but haven't gone back to them as there are SO many local options. I prefer to support local.

If there are other DFW metroplex LFSs offering wider array of services, please chime in here! We are really blessed to have so many store options. Most people I know around the country have only 1-2 stores within several hour radius of them - instead we have oodles!